XLV.

"Maria, just breathe

"Maria, just breathe. Deep breaths," I coached. "It's almost over."

"Braxton Hicks can go to hell!" Maria gasped, gripping my hand tightly. I rubbed her back as she crouched standing.

Maria sighed. "It's over. How the fuck am I going to give birth? I don't think I can do this."

"Don't say that. You're one of the strongest women I know. If there's one person who can flip off childbirth, it's you!" I encouraged, leading her to one of the couches in her living room area.

"Flip off childbirth," Maria repeated, letting out a small smile. "Only you would say that, Rosie. Thank you. And thank you for distracting the twins."

I looked over to where Josh and Julian were watching a public program about knives being sold. They were both frantically pointing as they spoke over each other.

I laughed before giving Maria a piece of chocolate that she eagerly took.

"It's the least I can do. I mean, I live in your house, eat your food, and have the support of the MPS and the Organization– the least I can do is make sure you have chocolate and you're comfortable." I teased her.

Maria rolled her eyes. "I took you under my wing long before that, Rosie. Once I saw your cute little face at Elysium, it was too late for me."

"And I'll forever be grateful. I'd be dead if it weren't for you looking out for me." I said seriously.

Maria Monroe was my savior in many ways. Who knows how everything would have turned out if we never met. But one thing was for sure– I owe my life to her.

Maria's eyes began to tear up.

"Fuck, stupid hormones. Give me a hug." Maria opened her arms and I embraced her. "I should be the one comforting you, not the other way around. I heard you have it rougher than me."'

I pulled back. "Damon told you about this morning?" I asked in disbelief. I wasn't offended that he shared. I was shocked he even said anything. Damon wasn't much of a talker unless we were alone.

"No, you just did. Xavier told me what happened last night." Maria asked with concern, grabbing my hand and placing it on her tummy.

I smiled as I felt the baby move, helping distract me.

"It wasn't pretty. No anxiety attacks, but definitely tears. But Damon comforted me until he had to leave. Still unnerved, but I feel a lot better."

"And have you talked to a specific doctor lately?" Maria prodded.

"Yes, Dr. Paxton called me this morning and wants to meet. I guess he didn't want to wait until our next weekly session." I shrugged.

Maria gave me a "duh" look.

"You really gotta stop underrating your emotions."

"And you need to stop underrating how tough you are." I quipped.