XXXIX.

"Why the hell is it so far away? And why the fuck are we walking?!"

"You were the one who insisted on walking to get some exercise. And you're the only one walking– we've been following you on this golf cart for the last five minutes. We would've been there by now if your stubborn ass got in." Marco muttered the last part under his breath.

Maria stopped, panting, as she rubbed her swollen belly.

"Why didn't anyone stop me? Rosie, am I being unreasonable?"

I looked at John and Marco, who had both suddenly found something interesting on the pathway. I desperately tried to think of the words that wouldn't cause Maria to start another pregnant-lady throwdown.

Maria loved her unborn child, but she was over being pregnant. She was tired and sore all the time, while her hormone levels were through the roof.

We were all walking on eggshells around her, which I thought she both appreciated and despised. While she complained a lot, I constantly saw her fawning over baby items and smiling whenever the baby moved.

"I think you've had plenty of exercise already, Maria. Why don't we use the cart the rest of the way? Come on, let me help you."

I got down and helped Maria get in. Maria sighed in relief as she sat down.

"Thanks, Rosie. I was being a bit crazy. Pregnancy brain and all of that."

Marco snorted, only rewarded with John smacking him on the back of the head.

"Don't anger it!" John hissed as we drove down the trail.

"This it has a name, John, and she is about to kick your big ass–"

"All right! How about we take a few deep breaths and calm ourselves down. It's been a long day and will probably be a long night. Let's try to make it as smooth as possible," I said, giving them smiles of encouragement.

I grabbed Maria's hand. "Let's just relax, okay? Here, have a rose charm."

I went in my jean pocket and placed one of my charms in Maria's hand. I looked at it sadly. I was disappointed that my mother's bracelet had broken. I knew that it could easily be fixed with a new chain, but I didn't like to see it damaged in any form. The bracelet was a symbol of my parents and reminded me of the happier times.

I zipped up my jacket. While it was a lot warmer now as we made it into spring, it was still cold during the night. The trees were blooming and the property was filled with life as bugs and animals appeared. It was absolutely beautiful when I went out for walks with Maria or Damon.

This place had become my safe haven and home, something I would never forget or take for granted.

After a few minutes, we arrived at a small cabin.

"And we have arrived," Marco stated and got out to help Maria. "Come on. Apparently, you're scheduled to have a protein shake."

"Like you don't drink stuff like that. I bet you eat raw eggs or some nonsense like that." Maria sniffed, but let out a goofy grin.