Chapter 26: Lonely Night

The hospital hallway was dead. The lights flickered, and the walls were in awful shape, all nicked and banged up, and dried up blood on them.

I sat down in a chair, Mike sat beside me, biting his nails, and Tre paced back and forth in front of us.

"Well," said the doctor coming out of a room. "You three are going to have to come back tomorrow. I'm afraid that he hasn't woken up yet, and visiting hours are over.".

I looked at Tre, and Tre looked at me.

"Okay." he sighed.

"Has Billie woken up?" I asked.

"No, he hasn't." the doctor replied.

"Is he gonna be okay?" I asked.

The doctor sighed. "We don't know.".

I bit my lip and tried not to cry. I quivered a bit, and Tre put his hand on my shoulder.

"Let's go back to the hotel, okay?" he said.

I nodded, and me and Mike followed him to the doors and through the parking lot. Mike called a taxi, and we waited. No one said a word, though, because all we had at the moment were questions with no answers.

Soon the taxi pulled up at the curb, and we got in. Mike sat in the front, and me and Tre at the back.

I held back tears as we drove to the hotel. I couldn't cry in the back of a taxi, no way. I was wearing my leather jacket and my makeup was smudged from crying earlier, and I looked kind of tough. I wanted to stay that way. Also, Tre probably would have tried to comfort me, and I really didn't need that in the back of a taxi.

We got to the hotel. I stepped out of the taxi and into the crisp night.

"Thank you." Mike said to the driver. We walked into the hotel lobby.

"Guys, is it okay if I sleep in your room?" I asked.

Mike and Tre exchanged glances.

"Well, I guess so. Me and Mike could just share a bed. It wouldn't be too gay." Tre replied.

"Alright. Thanks.". We stepped into the elevator. "Do you guys think that Billie's going to be okay?" I asked. I didn't want to ask, but I did anyway.

"I hope so." Mike sighed.

"Me too. I really hope that this isn't it.". I felt a lump in my throat. Don't cry. Don't you dare cry. I told myself. Not right now.

"Me too." Tre replied. He looked down at the floor.

The elevator door opened, and I went to my room to get my stuff. Just before I left, I noticed one of Billie's sweaters hanging on the back of the door, and I grabbed it. I that with brought my stuff into Mike and Tre's room.

"Tomorrow we should go and visit Billie first thing in the morning." Tre said.

"Okay." I replied.

"Is seven too early for you to wake up?" Tre asked me.

"Um, yeah, maybe a little bit.".

"Okay then, what about eight?".

"Sure.".

"Alright.".

"Want a drink, Liz?" Mike asked me.

"No thanks." I replied. "I shouldn't have any alcohol tonight.".

"Okay. Why don't you come and sit down for a bit?" Mike offered.

"Alright.". I sat down beside Mike on one of the beds. I looked at him, and because I hadn't had sex with Billie for nearly two weeks now, I had suddenly the urge to ask Mike to sleep with me. I had to try and fight it, though.