Chapter 29: End

I walked out of the bathroom in my nightgown, my head hung and my long hair swinging.

"You look nice, babe." Billie told me.

I looked up and forced a smile. "Thanks." I sighed. I shut the curtains and climbed into bed with him.

I put my arms around his neck and gave him a long kiss. He held me tight.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you, too.".

"I don't know what I'll do when you're gone.".

"Don't think about that babe, don't think about that.".

I felt tears forming in my eyes. "We have to make the most of these next few months." I sighed.

"Yeah." Billie replied. He kissed my forehead.

"How do you feel?" I asked, staring up into his green eyes. "Please be honest.".

He let out a sigh. "I feel like shit.".

"Oh, Billie." I whispered, stroking his cheek with the back of my hand. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. "If there's anything that I can do to make you feel better, tell me. I really don't like seeing you so sad. It makes me sad, too.".

"Oh, babe. You don't have to feel bad for me." Billie said, moving his hands further down my back and near my ass.

"But I do. I do because I love you.".

Billie let out a sigh and smiled at me. "I love you, too.".

"I wish that things were different.".

"Me too." Billie sighed. "But shit happens, life goes on, y'know?".

"Yeah.".

Billie leaned in and kissed me. We slowly separated, looking into each other's eyes as we did.

He leaned away for a moment and turned off the light.

"Thanks for being such a great husband.".

"I do my best, babe.".

I buried my face into his chest and felt his arms around me. That was one of my favorite feelings in the world.

***

Me, Billie, Mike, and Tre walked through the airport. We went into the main part, and it was filled with people.

"Bye, Billie. Bye, Liz." Tre said.

"Bye." I said.

"Bye." Billie said.

"You guys take care. Hopefully I can see you soon." Tre told us.

"Alright. Bye." Billie said as Tre walked away. I watched him walk over to his wife sarah, and his son. He kissed Sarah, then the three of them started walking together and disappeared into the crowd.

I followed Billie and Mike out to the parking lot. The sun shone down on us and a slight breeze blew.

"Goodbye." Mike said.

"Bye." I said.

"Bye, Mike." Billie replied.

"If you need anything, you can always talk to me." Mike assured him.

"Okay.".

"Alright. Bye.".

Me and Billie walked to the car. It was sweltering inside.

"It's hot in here." Billie said.

"It could get hotter if we took off our clothes." I replied. Billie looked at me and cocked an eyebrow. "Just kidding.". I sighed and looked out the window, thinking about how much I missed those times before Billie had cancer. Before we lost Joanna. When I was living my best life.

He started the car and turned on the air conditioning, then messed around with the radio until he found a station playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

As we drove out of the parking lot, I felt the cool air rush toward me. It felt kind of nice.

"I'm happy to be back." I said. "Touring is good, but it can get kind of tiring.".

"Yes, it definitely can." Billie replied.

We sped down the highway from Los Angeles to Oakland. The blue sky was sprawled out above us, and in the past, that would have filled me with hope. But at that point, all of the hope had been drained from me. I knew that there would come a day, not too far off, when I'd lose my other half.