Chapter 57: Breathe Easy

Calelh Point stood atop of Souviel's Bay just as Samantha remembered as she journeyed her way up its dirt road. Ever since the letter she received from the late Sandulf's caretaker, the Goblin Okt-to. She had been made subject to an official inquiry by her superiors. That Stryder Group in its collective efforts with the previous owner had, as a group, inherited a piece of land outside of Tyr Rian. Originally, the land of Calelh Point was an important landmark in Souviel decades prior with it being the sight of the Light House that guided sailors safely onto the Bay's embrace. One day, the daughter of the Light House Keeper married a young Sandulf who had built an Inn below Cliff's base to entertain travelers. Unfortunately, a freak accident and the consequential death of the wife foreclosed the Inn's fate into obscurity until now.

Much had changed in Souviel post-Chwartiadd, the Federation's Presence has now been well established amongst the Port City's denizens. The late-villain, Gresgi Jodent's property had been seized by the reformed Bank of Souviel whilst his former Villa has now been converted into a Consulate to authorize the UFE's presence in the region. The former Grey Order Office of Souviel has been put into the direct control of the Duchal Guards, with any adventurers, that for a time conducted bandit-style attacks on Federation Troops and Native Collaborators, ordered to surrender or face Duke Thibault's ire.

There are now whispers amongst the populace of deals being spun into ink brought forth by high-paying and influential nobles of Souviel consisting of landowners are now making deals with the Colonists of both private and publicized ventures. As of the rumor milling around the Duchy, many people say that thanks to Souviel's rich lands of plenty and its access to the Western Sea, the Duchy will be focusing itself on the industrialization of its fertile farmlands in terms of production. For services being rendered, there is the facilitation of foreign trade and tourism into the Duchy. Once Prince Clovich's Amelioration goes into full swing, it would not be long before such modernizations reach the Draguitoise Coast, perhaps even beyond it from sea to shining sea across all of Gliesia. Souviel being its springboard to what lays beyond.

Accompanied by Agent De Sardet and a couple of construction workers, Samantha, using the time off she has to relax a moment here in Souviel whilst also taking care of some business. That business is the use of this 'Inheritance' she and her squad had obtained from Old Master Souviel before his tragic passing. Due to several back dealings outside of her control, however, de facto-wise the property is belonging to the Federation's Government. But officially, according to the books of both the Federation and Souviel's Records, this plot of land is Samantha's private property. It wasn't illegal per say for the Captain to still run private businesses but such unique circumstances were too hard to pass up for her superiors.

"Welcome! Welcome!" Okt-to greeted the four guests. It was perhaps the most amount of people he had seen in the past few months after that stint with those Tavai Smugglers when Samantha had last visited.

The old Lonesome Hearth Hostel... or under better days the Smiling Siren was rustic with wood furniture and cold candles to greet them. It lacked the much-expected warmth and welcome reception expected from more active dens of hospitality due to years of neglect. Yet Agent De Sardet wishes to change this.

"I know a thing or two about places like this. My Husband worked as a Baker in several high-class Hotels." Agent De Sardet gestured his hands into a panoramic focus as he observed the interior.

"What would you do then Gary?" Sam asked.

"It's radical I have to confess but a lot of these furnishings MUST go! Too crude, too dirty, too dreary!" De Sardet answered. "We should replace the windows with some glass... in fact... have the entire walls be made of Glass! I can barely see the sun! This place needs more sun!" the Agent stomped as he swiftly opened each individual window allowing the late morning light to fill the room.