Chapter 10: IT'S ALL A LIE

Audio titled: BE KIND

Chapter
X
It's All A Lie
(No... they're Not...)

***

Jung Hwa entered the room and closed the door a second later

Jung Hwa entered the room and closed the door a second later. "How did it go?"

"It was fine, actually." Jong Woo was surprised when he realized his response was accurate. Save for that strange moment at the end, it was fine.

"I'm happy to hear that." Jung Hwa walked in and sat down on the cushy office chair near the desk. "Would it be alright with you if we discussed what you two talked about?"

Jong Woo quickly remembered that this had been the purpose of the visit all along. He was being used as a middleman. "Oh, yes, of course." He stopped speaking and waited for a response only to realize that Jung Hwa was, in fact, waiting for him. Jong Woo rushed to make sense of the conversation and finally said, "I figured out why he calls me darling."

"Oh, alright." Jung Hwa blinked and paused for awhile and said. "I always found that a bit odd."

"Did you know he owns a flower shop?" Jong Woo practically shouted before he could stop himself. That sounded a bit too feverish for his liking. Jung Hwa just arched an eyebrow and scribbled something down on her notepad. Jong Woo tried and failed once more to make sense of such a strange image, ultimately gave up, and finally slumped back in his seat. "Anyway, he said darling was a warm word that signal the end of a long winter. He said that is what I am to him. A sign of a cold time ending."

Jung Hwa stopped writing, likely in the middle of a sentence. "Wow," she said. "That's rather deep. Did he explain that any further?"

Jong Woo probably should have asked. That would have been the logical thing to do, but all logic was clouded in those strange fifteen minutes. "No, he did not."

"Alright." Jung Hwa seemed unconcerned. "Now, did he say anything about his family?"

"No." It took Jong Woo only a moment to remember it. "We did not talk about family matters nor his friends name."

"Is that all he said? He did not mention anyone?"

Perhaps that was not as helpful of an answer as Jong Woo had hoped. "Yes, he did not say anything else about them."

"Thought so." Jung Hwa tapped her pen against the desk and exhaled sharply through her nose. "Anything else?"

One detail stubbornly stuck out above all others. "He seemed very unsettled when I had to leave. He was almost frightened." Memory hit, and Jong Woo began to speak as though no one was listening to him. He thought aloud. "He treats me like we have known each other for a decade, or something. He told me he loved me again, so I told him to stop saying that. It is so, so bizarre."