Chapter 23: BLACK SHIRT

Audio titled: COLORBLIND

Chapter
XXIII
Black Shirt
(It's Mostly For Coverage)

***

The garden was in remarkable shape considering the weather the night before

The damage was minimal, limited to a few muddy patches of grass and a slight scattering of loose petals.

Still, sitting on the same bench as last time, Jong Woo watched as Moon Jo fussed over a single storm-tossed flower. "It's only one, Moon Jo," he said after some time.

"I know." Moon Jo was crouched on the ground, the limp stem of a lily pinched gently between his fingers. "I feel bad for the little thing, babe."

Now that Moon Jo's back was to him, Jong Woo didn't fight the urge to smile.

Watching Moon Jo fuss over a petty plant nearly allowed him to forget the events of last night.

He was not quite able to get there, however, considering the memory sat on his shoulders like an elephant. "At least it was not a tree," said Jong Woo only to fill the silence.

He wondered how Moon Jo felt about this whole ordeal, but he was already fairly sure of the answer.

While he hadn't said anything about it, his entire demeanor seemed lighter.

Moon Jo looked happy. He looked... stable.

"You're right, Babe! It'll be a disaster if a tree was damaged." Without warning, Moon Jo yanked the lily from the dirt with far more force than necessary.

Jong Woo flinched.

Moon Jo then stood, brushed the dirt from his shirt, and returned to the bench.

When Moon Jo sat down, he handed the tattered lily to Jong Woo and smiled how he always did. "For you."

"Oh. Uh..." Jong Woo took the flower, careful not to let his hand linger on Moon Jo's for too long, and laid it carefully in his lap. "Thanks."

Jong Woo was painfully aware that Moon Jo was still looking at him.

Moon Jo's gaze sent electric shocks across his skin, made breathing complicated and threw his thoughts into a wild tailspin.

Jong Woo tried to ignore it, tried to concentrate on the little flower like it was the most interesting thing in the world, but Moon Jo's eventual words sent his already shot nerves far over the edge. "I love you, darling."

Jong Woo felt as if the blood had been drained from his body.

Why on earth did he tell Moon Jo that was okay?

Maybe there had been laughing gas in the elevator's vents.

Then again, that could not possibly be true because a small part of him felt like reciprocating and oh god he needed to change the subject as soon as humanly possible.