Chapter 24: DISCUSS PAYMENT

Audio titled: HOUSE WITH NO MIRRORS

Chapter
XXIV
Discuss Payment
(Keep It, Please)

***

Before Jong Woo opened the door to Jung Hwa's office, he had to pause

Before Jong Woo opened the door to Jung Hwa's office, he had to pause. Surging beneath his skin was a strong feeling that this was wrong.

He'd felt that way for weeks, but he was usually able to ignore it. After the two days he and Moon Jo had, however, what used to be a small doubt was now overpowering.

Moon Jo had opened up to him, allowed himself to be vulnerable, told him things he had likely never told anyone else... and Jong Woo was preparing to repeat all of it like his life was something he read about in a tabloid.

He considered walking away, but was hit with an even better idea.

Jong Woo took a breath, straightened his shoulders and knocked.

It took Jung Hwa nearly half a minute to open the door, and when she did, Jong Woo was taken aback by how exhausted she looked.

Dark circles rimmed her eyes, and she moved as if she had not slept in years and her last day off was even farther back.

"Oh, Jong Woo..." Her voice dipped, but when she saw what was Jong Woo was wearing, her fatigue was a thing of the past. "That's Moon Jo's shirt," she said, eyes wide and unmoving.

Jong Woo pinched the fabric between his fingers, and for a moment got lost in the memory of the afternoon. "Yes, it is."

Then he remembered his purpose and looked Jung Hwa in the eyes. "Dr. So, I believe we need to discuss our arrangement."

Jung Hwa completely ignored him. "Moon Jo took off his black long sleeve shirt."

Jong Woo just stared at her.

He already had the feeling that this was a big gesture, but apparently he had managed to underestimate it. "He did."

Beginning to lose patience, he took a breath and tried again. "Look, Dr. So, about all of this..."

His attempts were cut off when Jung Hwa pulled him into the office by the arm and all but slammed the door behind them. "So, how did you do it?" She spoke like a teenage girl after being told a rumor. "No one has ever gotten him to change that thing off, Jong Woo! It's practically a miracle!"

A bit disturbed, Jong Woo took a careful step backwards. "I didn't ask him to. He just gave it to me." And he had no desire to explain what led up to that happening.

Moon Jo's confessions, his breakdown, the skeletons hidden far, far back in his closet... it all seemed entirely too personal to repeat, even if it was only his therapist.

Jong Woo wondered why he hadn't felt that way since the beginning.

"He gave it to you?" Jung Hwa looked dangerously close to having an aneurism. "And to think I'd doubts about this. I think we might have reached a breakthrough. Now, please, can you tell me what you two discussed today?"