Chapter 14: THE WORD DISORDER

Audio titled: ALL THE KIDS ARE DEPRESSED

Chapter
XIV
The Word 'Disorder'
(Hanging in the Air, Mocking Him)

***

When Moon Jo sat down in Jung Hwa's office, he felt just fine

When Moon Jo sat down in Jung Hwa's office, he felt just fine. Ki Hyeok hadn't said anything to end his world, Deuk Soo hadn't kept him up all night, and most importantly, Jong Woo promised he would return.

Everything was right in the world—as right as it could be in this hospital.

Moon Jo could have danced, sang, cried out joyfully, but he did not want to make himself a spectacle. Instead he smiled at Jung Hwa, who had been staring at him rather intently since he entered the room. "Good morning, Jung Hwa. How are you today?"

"I'm doing fine." Jung Hwa finally broke out of her stare and looked down at her clipboard. "How about yourself, Moon Jo? How have your medications been working for you? Any side effects?"

"I am excellent. No side effects at all, thank you for asking." Moon Jo kept his smile to hide the fact that he had not swallowed one pill.

It almost amused him how oblivious everyone else was to his medication dodging. Besides, he was feeling excellent, so why would he need them? He didn't need to be changed. Not wishing to stay on this subject any longer, he said, "Is a lovely day today, is it not?"

Jung Hwa glanced out the window and rested her chin in her hand. "It's raining."

The sky was grey, pelting rain rolled down the glass of the window, and flashes of lightning occasionally illuminated the sky.

Moon Jo gave a short laugh when he realized how unfitting it was, but it was not like it mattered. The weather had nothing to do with his statement. The apocalypse could have started outside, and that would not have changed a thing. "Oh well. It is still lovely."

Jung Hwa leaned against her chair, her posture relaxed. "You seem to be in a great mood today. Is this because of Jong Woo?"

"It is." Moo Jo's mind fell back to how Jong Woo's hair felt in his hands, the smoothness of his voice, the way he smelled faintly of spice. He held back the urge to sigh with pleasure. "My darling is perfect. He understands me."

"Understands you? Why do you say that?"

Moon Jo nodded, though he had to search for a response. He couldn't really explain it, but he was certain Jong Woo understood him far more than either of his roommates or another doctors. "We have a lot in common. We grew up in similar ways and we are both business owners."

"Oh, I see. That must be nice." Jung Hwa crossed her legs and brought her hands together. "Speaking of owning businesses, I understand you owned a flower shop, is that correct?"

Moon Jo narrowed his eyes. He hadn't told Jung Hwa about that, nor was he planning to.

Aside from his darling, he had mentioned his business to no one in the hospital. He did not wish to bring his personal affairs into a place like this. "How did you know this?"