Chapter 15: THIS MY GARDEN

Audio titled: SAVE

Chapter
XV
This My Garden
(Flowers Looking Beautiful & Peaceful)

***

Jong Woo's week was far too confusing for his liking

He knew this was becoming entirely too personal. Jong Woo was not supposed to still be thinking about—much less look forward to—his visits with Moon Jo.

The visits were supposed to be something he was doing out of the good of his heart, if not for a small amount of money he was being given. But Moon Jo spoke about his family and his childhood—it stopped feeling like a job.

When he ran his fingers through Jong Woo's hair, his touch surprisingly gentle, it felt comfortable.

Jong Woo could even go as far as to say that it felt safe, even though Moon Jo was supposed to be the opposite.

Somewhere between the moment he left the hospital and the moment he observed the pink paper flower the next morning, Jong Woo realized his initial fear had given away almost entirely to something that was closer to... sympathy.

Maybe he realized it when he was reporting what had happened to Jung Hwa and he began to feel guilty, knowing that he was repeating things Moon Jo had told him in confidence.

Maybe he realized it when he found himself replaying the visit over and over again in his mind in the moments before he went to sleep.

Strangely enough, it only became strikingly apparent when he felt hesitant to look at the pink paper flower. It was only amplified as the days passed and Moon Jo stuck stubbornly to the back of his thoughts.

No, Jong Woo didn't dislike Moon Jo at all. And that was more terrifying than Moon Jo ever was.

Now that a week had passed since Jong Woo had last seen Moon Jo, it was time to stare that terror in the face. But as Jong Woo made his way through the twisting hallways he had grown to know like the back of his hand, he realized he was hardly even nervous anymore.

This hospital was not longer a great unknown—Moon Jo was no longer a strange, frightening taboo. The only thing left that managed to scare him was how normal all of it was becoming.

Years ago when he had envisioned what he thought his life was going to be like, unconsciously counting down the days to go visit a psych ward was not in the image.

The strange jolt that shot through his chest when Moon Jo ran up to him and grasped his hands wasn't exactly in the plan, either.

"Darling," he said quickly, his eyes lighting up. "I have something to show you."

Out of the corner of his eye, Jong Woo saw Jung Hwa nod in what he assumed was approval.

"Alright." He didn't hesitate. He didn't even think to ask what Moon Jo had to show him.