Chapter 21: LOOK AWAY

Audio titled: BEST PART

Chapter
XXI
Look Away
(Oh, Forget It!)

***

If anything, it felt like an abrupt, inexplicable role reversal

"Are you sure?" Jong Woo tried to ignore the dangerous sway beneath his feet. "I thought you wanted to talk about your family, or...Ki Hyeok, or something. Why aren't you saying something? You say a lot of things." Maybe he was more tired than he thought.

Jong Woo was aware he was not making sense, and even more aware of the guilt.

"We can talk later dear. Besides, this storm will only get worse." Moon Jo smiled, albeit faintly.

Jong Woo met his gentle gaze, endearing if not a bit startled by his legitimate concern.

"Well—" But Jong Woo had no time to revel in the emotion or even finish his thought, because he was cut off by Jung Hwa's office door being thrown open with a loud clatter.

From it emerged a teary-eyed Ki Hyeok, who nearly tripped over his own feet before bolting off in the other direction.

Jung Hwa emerged seconds later, looking dazed if not in physical pain.

For a split second she turned to face Moon Jo and Jong Woo, a suspicious mark taking residence on the side of her face, mouth agape.

The fleeting moment passed. Jung Hwa shouted something intangible as she ran off in Ki Hyeok's direction.

Moon Jo looked down the hallway with a blank expression, blinked once, then broke away with a short laugh. "It's probably best you get out of here, babe. It'll get chaotic any moment now."

Jong Woo couldn't exactly deny that. However, he had no choice but to deny that he didn't want to leave. "Alright, then."

Moon Jo brought his hand to the small of Jong Woo's back, his touch firm but unthreatening. "I'll walk with you."

A response came easier this time. "Sure."

The hall lights were flickering by the time they reached the elevator.

Explosions of lightening turned the night sky into something closer to day, and blasts of thunder filled the halls nearly simultaneously. The winds outside had grown deafening.

Jong Woo ignored it. But Moon Jo did not.

"Are you sure you will be safe getting home?"
Moon Jo asked.

It seemed to take longer than usual.

Jong Woo considered this and vaguely wondered if it would be a better idea to take the stairs, but his fatigue was only growing and it seemed too impossible a feat.