1 - Q&A

* * *

(A/N: Karl looks like his fanart, just so y'all know.)

"Mom, I told you already, me and Isaac are going to the same college, we aren't going to break up." I told my mom who was sitting in the passenger seat of my car. We were going to the mall to find some clothes for when school starts up again.

"Okay, okay." She said, looking out the window.

"Why do you always think something bad is going to happen? We love each other."

"I know you do. I'm just making sure, sweetie. You know I don't want you getting hurt."

"I'll be caref-."

"KARL! YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE! LOOK UP!" I heard my mom shout, just before everything went dark.

Darkness and loneliness, words I've become very close with in the past few... hours? Days? Weeks? I don't even know how long I've been trapped in this never ending void, spending way too much time in my head which felt so... empty.

I want to open my eyes, I really do. So why won't my body do it?

"Karl?" I hear someone say. Who the hell is that?

I twitch my hand slightly, trying to let them know I'm here. "Baby? Are you awake? Can you hear me?" They continue, taking my hand that I moved.

I try and move my fingers I'm again but end up squeezing their palm instead. "You're here!" They say, sounding happy. "You're awake!" I feel their lips on my forehead which takes me by surprise.

I use all the power in me to open my eyes and look around.

Strangers. There's strangers all over this white room I'm in. A women in all white rushes to my bedside, looking at a monitor type thing that's beeping annoyingly beside my face.

I watch in silence for a little while. Who the heck are these people? Only one person stands out to me, a petite pale women who has a cut right above her eyebrow. She has a cast on her arm and is staring at me with wide eyes.

"Karl Jacobs, can you please answer the following questions for me?" The women in the white says to me. It was said like a question but I knew I couldn't say no, even if I wanted to. So I just nodded, facing only her.

"What's your name?" This one was easy, she has already said it to me.

"Karl Jacobs?" I said, my voice raspy and quiet.

"Good. How old are you?"

"Um- I'm..." I started getting frustrated, I should know this. "I don't know!" I cried after a minute, looking up at the ceiling to hold back the tears that were forming in my eyes.

"Okay, can you name three people in this room?"

I just sat quietly, looking at everyone's hurt faces around me. I just wanted to curl in on myself and go back to the darkness.

"I'm going to guess that's a no." She said, marking something on a clip board. "Where are you and how did you end up here?"

I wanted the questions to stop. I didn't know the damn answer. Why the heck do I not know this?

I rolled onto my side, facing a part of the room where no one was sitting. I heard the women in white sigh and I let the tears come out. I cried silently, the tears running across my face sideways from the position I'm in. A boy came up to my bedside, he looked at me sadly and then crouched down, stroking my cheek with his hand. I felt safe with him. Like I've known him forever. Like I want him to wrap me in his arms and tell me everything is going to be okay for once.

He grabbed my hand squeezing it gently and wiped off my tears with another. "Just a few more questions, Kar." He said so quietly only I could hear it.

I nodded weakly and turned back around, keeping my hand tucked in the boys. "I'll ask you some easier questions, Karl." The women said. "Can you read my name tag?" She asked, picking up the hem of her lab coat and showing me a silver pin that had words engraved into it.

"Aya Reson." I said.

She gave me a thin lipped smile and nodded. "Can you name three colors?"

"Blue, purple, green." My favorite colors.

"That's all I need to ask. I'm going to-." I tuned her out, flipping over and looking at the person that was still near my bedside.

"Who are you?" I croaked. He got a pained look on his face. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I didn't know. I didn't mean it." I said quickly, touching his arm.

"No, it's okay, Karl. I'm Nick, your best friend. We go to the same high school but it's summer right now."

"Thank you." I said so quietly I didn't know if he heard me. Best friend? How the hell did I get a best friend? I eyed 'Nick' looking from his hair down to his shoes. He was hot, his shortish brown hair and brown eyes. The gray hoodie and black sweatpants. "You're cute." I said, looking back at his beautiful eyes.

He smiled a bit and squeezed my hand. "And you're on drugs. I'll see you tomorrow Karl, she said visiting hours are over."

"No.." I said, hoping he would stay and tell me about himself. He didn't hear me though because he was already getting up and squeezing my hand goodbye before walking out of the door, swinging car keys in hand.

I soon drifted off to sleep.

"KARL! YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE! LOOK UP!" I looked up and time seemed to stop for a moment. I'm going to die. I thought as the truck didn't stop and hit the front of my car. The car flipped two times before my limp body fell onto the street, surrounded by broken glass.

Hurt. I'm hurt. I thought as I heard sirens coming closer to me.

"KARL!?" Someone yelled and I snapped awake, breathing uncontrollably heavily. "SOMEONE GET THE DOCTOR!" Someone shouted again. I couldn't breathe.

Air. All I want is air right now.

Someone ran a hand up my forehead and into my hair, whispering to me. I didn't face them though, I closed my eyes again. But every time I closed my eyes I saw the truck coming toward me, hitting the car and my body flying.

"Car." I gasped out, grabbing onto the thing nearest to me which happened to be crinkly and cold, a water bottle. I opened my eyes again, my breathing still rapid. I saw the pale women with the cut and bruise above her eyebrow hovering over me, telling me it was going to be okay.

It's not going to be okay. That's something I know for sure.

* * *
1145 words