13

* * *

"You have a visitor." The nurse informed me while opening my door for the person.

"Thanks." I mumbled. I was guessing it was just my mom so I stayed turned on my side. I heard the door close.

"Can we please talk..?" A weak voice said. Nick. Nick was here. It's been three days since I'd gotten the picture, I'm pretty sure they weren't allowing visitors in until today.

I stayed quiet but shifted a little so I wasn't facing him but he knew I was listening.

"That was my old friend, he picked me up from the park because I didn't have my car there. When I got in the car he kept acting all weird and stuff and not driving me to the hospital. He grabbed my face and kissed me, I couldn't pull away from him because he was holding me so tightly-." He cut himself off with a quiet sob. He tried to compose himself for a second by sniffing. "I don't know who took that picture but it's not what it looks like in that picture." He said hoarsely. "It's okay if you don't believe me, I understand if you want me to leave you alone." He whispered. I processed the information for a little.

I heard his footsteps and the door open. "Please stay." I said desperately, turning to look at him. He looked terrible, his hair was messy, his cheeks were red and tear stained, and he had huge eye bags under his eyes.

He came back into the room, sitting down in a chair slowly. "Promise?" I whisper, a tear running down my cheek and tickling my chin.

"Promise what?"

"You don't like him?"

"I promise. You're the only person in the world I love."

"Really?" I asked.

He nodded and I held my arms out toward him. He hesitantly got up. "Please hug me." I said, needing to be in his arms.

He immediately wrapped his arms around me tightly, kissing my forehead once before squeezing me. I hugged back, I loved him too.

He pulled back for a second and frowned at me. "Why do you look so thin?" He lifted up the front of my shirt.

I just stared at him blankly, like I didn't know the answer. He looked at my bedside table and saw the lunch I had been given, the plate still full of food. "Baby, no..." he said, turning back to me and running a hand across my stomach.

"I'm sorry for being so difficult." I whisper, trying to tear my eyes away from his sad ones.

"You aren't difficult, I love you, I'm your boyfriend, I signed up to take care of you."

"You've been to the hospital twice in a month." I stated.

"I want to be here." He grabbed the tray of food from the table and handed it to me. I took it with hesitation. "Please eat. Please." Nick begged.

I didn't mean to starve myself, I just wasn't ever hungry when they brought me food. "I will." I motioned for Nick to come sit next to me.

He sat down on the bed and I nuzzled into his chest, feeling safe in his warmth. "I'm so sorry for everything." Nick said.

"You didn't do anything." I told him, squeezing his side gently.

He mumbled something I couldn't hear. I pulled back to look at him and saw that I had left wet marks on his shirt. I looked up and saw a tear running down his puffy cheeks, I also saw his eyes drooping, like he was about to fall asleep. I hadn't slept well in a couple days either.

I wiped off his tears and kissed the corner of his mouth. "You can go to sleep." I said quietly, rubbing my hand on his cheek.

He shook his head no. "Can you eat first?"