Chapter 8

The song Enjoy the Silence by KI Theory helped me write this chapter. I pictured this song playing as Iris enters the club/bar.

Hawks POV:

I knew she was struggling, but I had no idea she was in such a state. I guess I just didn't consider how bad things could have turned out for her. I set her off this time.

This blow up was my fault.

I hurt her.

I harmed her more in the last twenty-four hours than I did when I ended our relationship. I didn't have a choice then to fake that sickening smile and lie to her. Pierce was in the building. God forbid he saw me emotionally react to anything she said to me.

However, now that this has happened, I'm sure that he's going to think she's unstable. She's getting there, but I don't believe she's completely gone just yet.

I checked on Hado after Iris ran away. She was fine for the most part but was angry with me for being so cruel. I knew I was, but what other choice did I have? I couldn't explain to her what was going on. I wanted to. I wanted to so she'd know why I was acting the way I was. I didn't want anything between Iris and I to end up this way. I would have traded the stars in the sky to keep this from happening. Unfortunately, it did.

I had to make up a story about the damages. Lies are becoming more and more easy to roll off my tongue. I kept Iris's ring in my pocket. Knowing she came all this way just to return it to me.. It must've been a difficult choice. It never occurred to me that she'd return it. I was hoping she'd hold onto hope and wait for me, at least until I finished what I needed to do. I was counting on her to read my mind and realize what was going on. She was just so heartbroken that it didn't even occur to her to try it. I should've given her more clues, I guess.

I called Cloak shortly after, explaining everything that happened. He knew it all already. He said he was following her—I asked him where she was at—he said she was distraught and wandering around. I wanted to go find her, talk to her and help her, but my hands were tied. He said he would continue to keep an eye on her.

I just worry about what's going to happen to her.

I need to finish my investigation as quickly as possible so I can try and make things right again.

Iris' POV:

I made my way to the futon and sat on the far corner as Kuro's eyes narrowed at me.

"Are you sober enough to talk right now?" He asked.

I took a deep breath and slapped my cheeks a few times. "I'm moderately functional."

He gave an annoyed sigh as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'll take that as a not really. I'm going to try to ask you some questions anyway. Be warned, if you lie to me, I'll know." He narrowed his eyes at me in warning.

Something crucial suddenly occurred to me. "Hold on." I turned to him as irritation showed on my face. "How did you know where my apartment was and how did you get in here?" I eyed the door for any signs he may have kicked it in or otherwise damaged it.

He rolled his eyes. "I do a lot of undercover work for the commission. Do you really think it was difficult for someone like me to find out? Back to what I said. I'll be asking the questions." He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and staring intently at my face. "Where did you get the alcohol?"

My eyes drifted to the ground as I muttered, "Toga."

"What was that?"

"I got the alcohol from Toga!" I practically yelled.

I watched as a look of shock painted his face and swiftly transformed into anger. "How the hell did you come into contact with Toga of all people?"