Chapter 20

We made it back to my hospital room where Kuro was waiting. I gave him my best apology and when I was done, he smiled faintly and rubbed my head, mussing my wind-whipped locks into even more disarray. I figured since Hawks was present, he was hesitant show any sort of affection aside from the brief head-pat. I climbed back into the bed as Hawks requested a nurse to reattach my IV and other wiring I'd hastily removed earlier.

Upon getting situated in the hospital bed, there was a small commotion in the hall which caught the attention of everyone in the room. Kuro walked over to the door and peeked out, sighing.

"It's her friends. They want to see her. Is it alright to bring them in?" Kuro asked, looking at Hawks and then flicking his gaze to me.

Hawks nodded as Kuro walked out of the room and then turned towards me.

"I'm leaving for a little while, kid. I need to take Kuro with me." He held up his hands in a pleading gesture as my brow furrowed. "Don't get upset, your friends are going to stay with you. He and I need to take care of this David business," he lightly stroked my cheek with the back of his gloved fingers.

I was pretty bummed that after everything that had just happened, he was leaving already. I worried about how the meeting with David would turn out, but I shook my head to indicate I wasn't going to cause turbulence in his plan for the time being. I watched as he smiled and leaned in to kiss my forehead.

I heard the door slam open as Hado ran in and threw herself onto the bed and hugged me in a rib-crushing embrace.

"Iris, I'm so glad you're okay! You had us so worried!" She was sobbing by the time she finished talking. I tried to pry her off me enough to pat her back.

"I'm okay, Hado. Really.." I smiled as she finally released me enough so I could move. She quickly wiped away some tears as she glanced back at Mirio and Tamaki, who were talking to Hawks near the door. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but Mirio and Tamaki looked pretty serious and determined.

A nurse walked in and scolded us for having too many people in the room. She made her way over to me, verifying all my information and discretely handed me a pill and a cup of water. She kept her voice down but Hado, who was still in the bed next to me, heard her.

"This is a morning after pill. Call if you need anything else," she whispered. Her eyes scanned the machines I was hooked up to, checking my vitals briefly and before she left the room.

Hado leaned down next to me and grabbed my hand after I took the pill. Her skin had gone even paler than normal as she stared into my eyes.

"Dabi did that to you?" She whispered in a shaky voice. I nodded in response.

Tears were welling in her eyes again as Mirio and Tamaki walked over to me.

"What's wrong, Hado? Are you getting emotional again?" Mirio reached his large hand to pat Hado's head, then mine. "She's alright," he told her.

Tamaki gave one of his sweet smiles before hugging me gently.

Hado glanced at me and then to Mirio and Tamaki, and I realized what she was asking. I felt self-conscious but felt it was best to tell them as well. I gave her a small nod, then took a deep breath as Hado started talking. My eyes drifted over to Hawks as he and Kuro left the room, closing the door behind them.

If he wants me to catch up and be with me friends for now, then I'll do that. I'll tell them everything..

Hawks POV:

I told Iris' friends, Mirio and Tamaki, to watch over her. I asked them to let Miss Hado know as well, and not to let anyone in that room except nurses and doctors, and for one of them to always stay in the room with her. I wasn't sure if anyone would actually attempt to break into the hospital and attack her, but I wanted to be sure someone she trusted was always there with her just in case. Mount Lady said she'd be over after her shift, so I hoped that those three could handle things until then.