Chapter 9

Well, I certainly didn't think I was going to have to steal something to prove my allegiance, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I'm sure Kuro was angry about this. After all, if he was undercover like I suspected, I put a huge dent in whatever he was uncover for. Now he probably thought he had to look after me.

God, he already doesn't care for me. I'm pretty sure he hates me because of this.

I was already back at my apartment, preparing for the task ahead. It was about seven in the morning when I heard a knock at my door. I walked over and opened it to see Kuro's livid face glowering down at me.

He practically shoved past me with his backpack in tow. He tossed it onto the futon and started digging through it. I watched as he eventually tossed me some clothes.

"Put those on." It was more of a command than a request.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked, looking down at my jeans and a t-shirt in confusion.

He whipped around and glared at me. "You're going to look like a doctor or nurse. With this uniform you'll look more believable. Now put it on. It's your fault we have to do this now." He was practically foaming at the mouth from all the anger he was throwing at me.

I sighed at the whole 'It's your fault', but he was right. I walked into the bathroom to change into the long sleeve pink button-down top and blue pencil skirt. I then put the long white medical jacket on and wore some slip-on shoes with it to at least make me look the part. I put my hair in a very loose low ponytail and stepped out.

"Is this good or no?" I lifted my arms a little and did a spin for him to get a full view of the disguise.

He looked over at me and studied my appearance, his brow knit together as he considered it carefully. He walked over to me and clipped a fake badge to the edge of the jacket collar.

"There. It'll have to do," I heard him mutter.

I was about to step away from him until he grabbed my arm and put a tiny bud into my hand.

"Put this in your ear. It's so I can talk to you if we get separated and so I can walk you through areas of the hospital."

I froze. "Y-you're not coming with me?" My hand shakily placed the bud into my ear and then adjusted the hair in my ponytail so it covered my ears better in case someone looked too closely.

"Calm down." I watched as he put in his own earbud with a mic and pressed on it. "Test. Can you hear me?"

I nodded weakly, suddenly unsure if I could do this. He grabbed his backpack as we headed outside to a black car that was waiting for us. Both of us got in and were greeted by the driver. He said he was paid to drop us off and that he'd pick us up somewhere else when we'd finished the task. He was silent for the rest of the ride. I stared out the window as the knots in my stomach got worse and worse as we drove.

Kuro must've noticed my anxiety because I saw him look at me from the corner of my eye.

"You didn't stay out of trouble yet again.. I swear you never learn. You're basically attracted to danger and bad decisions. A danger whore." I heard him seethe but loud enough for me to hear.

That last line made me snap as I turned towards him and slapped him. My open palm connected with his cheek using as much force as I could muster as tears pricked the corner of my eyes. I didn't see him move after I hit him. He never even flinched.

The car ride was painfully silent until we pulled into the lower level of a parking garage. I got out of the vehicle and Kuro got out on the opposite side.