Chapter 19

The song that helped me write this chapter is Shallow by Tommee Profitt (Ft. Fleurie)

I stood there for a moment or two as memories started to replay in my mind. I almost stepped back off the ledge but then repeated to myself;

This won't stop. You will be Dabi's puppet forever unless you end it now.

I didn't want to jump.

Not really.

But at the time, it was the only option I could think of.

There was no way I could just hunt David down and be like 'Oh hey, so I know you made me have a trigger word so Dabi could control me. Would you be a dear and remove it? That'd be great, thanks.' Oh yeah, that'll happen. I rolled my eyes as I dismissed the thought.

I knew everyone would be very sad and upset with me, but I hoped they would try and put themselves in my shoes and sympathize with everything I had been through. I couldn't force them to, but I hoped they'd try to understand.

I was torn from my thoughts when the rooftop door made a loud bang from being practically kicked off its hinges. I turned very slightly to see Kuro standing there clutching the doorframe, gasping and out of breath. His eyes were huge as they locked onto me, their terrified stare going wider by the second.

"Iris, come off the ledge." He was firm and took a few cautious steps towards me.

"Don't come any closer, Kuro. I'll dive off before you can get to me." I tried to make sure my voice didn't waver. He stood dead in his tracks and balled up one of his hands into a fist.

"Iris, this.. this isn't answer—Hawks and I can fix it! Please come off the ledge!" He raised his voice more with each word he spoke. He swallowed hard as he tried to hide the panic on his face. He unballed his fist and held his hand out to me, gingerly taking steps closer to the ledge. His free hand drifted into his pocket, as if checking its contents while continued inching nearer.

"Stop, Kuro. I can't do this anymore.. I should've listened to you. The undercover thing was too much and I ended up.." My chest squeezed like a vice as turned back towards the view from the rooftop.

Kuro lowered his voice some as he answered. "I know. Dabi told me what he did after using the trigger word. I'm so sorry. We got you checked out here and the doctors confirmed it."

We?

I turned again to glance back at him. "We?"

"Mount Lady and your friends Hado, Mirio, and Tamaki showed up to help when I told them you were in trouble." He paused, lifting his chin fractionally. "I told Hawks, too. He wasn't able to be present right away because he was in the middle of something on his end, but he'll be on his way shortly," Kuro explained.

I didn't say anything as I turned my view back to the street again.

"Thank you for being such a good friend, Kuro. I'll miss all of you."

I went to step off the ledge when Kuro yelled:

"I Love You!"

I froze.

"I know you will never share the same feelings, and I understand that," he gasped out. "I still love you and will be here whenever you need me. Your friends love you too. They will have a very hard time without you here, and so will Hawks! Please don't do this!"

I could hear the emotion in his voice and did the only thing I could think of as I turned towards him one last time. I closed my eyes as tears ran down my face and gave him a small smile.