Chapter 21

Iris' POV:

Keigo and Kuro had been gone for maybe an hour at this point, but thankfully my friends stayed to keep me company.

I felt entirely humiliated when I had to tell them what had happened to me, but they didn't press the issue once they got the gist of the severity. They were quite shocked and angry, though each tried to hide it the best they could. I've seen Mirio and even Hado angry, but seeing Tamaki angry.. it was something else. If it wasn't for Mirio, I'm sure he would've been much worse.

They did their best to distract me from what had happened. Hado went to the nurse's station and managed to get ahold of some playing cards. They gathered around my hospital bed to play some 'BS' while we patiently waited for Keigo and Kuro to get back. I was ready to be freed from this code word shit and be back to normal.

Hado tossed two cards face down as I eyed her suspiciously.

"Two Queens," she said a bit too cheerfully.

I looked at Mirio and Tamaki to gauge their reactions. Since they didn't say anything, I decided to call her out.

"Bullshit," I said looking at her dead in the eye. "You're not a good liar, Hado."

I watched as she pouted and picked up her two cards and the entire pile under it.

Mirio grinned as he tossed down his next card of the nearly finished game. "One Jack."

He didn't seem like he was lying, so I continued. "Two fours."

I was eyeing Tamaki because he had three cards left and not once had any of us suspected him of lying. Yet, I could not picture Tamaki being deceitful about anything, even something as unmonumental as cards. We watched as he put down his last three cards and replied:

"Three three's. I'm out of cards, so I win."

"No way! Hold on!" I watched as Hado dropped all her cards and grabbed his three, turning them over to see that they were indeed three number three cards.

"Awwww!" Hado visibly wilted as she stacked all the cards together and shuffled them grumpily before counting them out as equally as possible to start a new game.

I heard my room door open as Mount Lady walked in. All of us looked up from our cards to greet her as she smiled.

"I figured I'd stop by on my break to see how you were doing, Iris. Do you think I could speak to you alone for a moment?"

My friends stopped what they were doing and watched her intently.

"If you're going to talk to me or fuss at me for what I did, you might as well do it in front of them," I told her.

She sighed in frustration as she crossed her arms. "I originally was going to yell at you for deliberately disobeying my orders, but when Hawks and Kuro told me of your condition and what you had gone through, I thought that may not be the best thing to do right now. However, it doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in you." She sighed and uncrossed her arms, relaxing a bit. "All that aside for now, how are you feeling?"

I gave her a small smile as Hado resumed dealing out cards. "Pretty good. We're playing 'BS'. Want to play?"

She laughed a little as she walked over to us. "I used to beat Kamui at that game all the time! Although some of us would play it at parties and do like a strip poker version of it." She grinned widely at us. "Anyone caught lying had to remove a piece of clothing."

Mirio, Hado and I laughed as Tamaki just turned a few shades of red as he shielded his face with the cards fanned out in his hands. "I don't want to play t-that version," he stuttered.