Chapter 10

I kept looking back and forth between the barricaded door and Kuro, who was still typing away on the computer.

"Whatever you're doing, could you possibly hurry up?" I said. I bounced on the toes of my shoes. Stress was making the hair at the back of my neck stand up straight.

I wanted him to know that with people kicking and pounding on the door even with it blocked, it would not hold forever. The door was the sort that you had to put a code in and then you could pull it open. I didn't understand why he pushed the huge metal bookshelf in front of it, unless that was another thing he was working on via the computer.

I quickly walked over to where he was at, stepping over the unconscious man. "Kuro, did you hear me?"

He briefly glanced at me and continued typing. "I'm busy shutting down and erasing camera footage, jamming the computerized door lock and grabbing some information all at the same time you're having your mini panic attack. Stop being so flustered and shut up for a minute."

I balled up my fist and let out a breath of air to try to calm down. "Do you have an exit strategy?"

"A what?" He asked me.

I immediately ran my hands over my face. "Oh my god, we're going to die."

I heard him loud tap on a key on the computer as he quickly snapped a jump drive into the designated spot. He walked over to one of the tall windows and moved a large table and a couple of desk chairs out from under it. He started checking the edges of the window and made a sound of annoyance before pulling his taser-gun out and aiming at the window.

"Shield your eyes," he commanded.

I did as I was told and heard glass shatter. I turned back towards him and watched as he knocked out the tiny pieces of glass left in the edges and put his gun away. I watched as he finished with whatever was on the computer and removed the jump drive, putting it in the backpack. I still had the small case in my hands as he walked over to me.

"Hand me the case," he said, reaching out his hand.

I was hesitant but did as he asked. He put it in the backpack as well as removing some climbing gear. I watch as he set it up around the window and then looked over at me.

"You coming?"

Oh dear god, he's insane.

I glanced back at the door and removed my fake doctor jacket and ID badge. I walked over to him and briefly looked out the window, then back at him. He pulled me in, wrapping his arm around my waist as my arms wrapped around his neck. He pulled us up onto the ledge of the window and I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt him jump.

The air hit my skin and clothes as I clutched onto him tighter. I heard him laugh a little as I opened my eyes. Not sure how we did it, but we landed kind of hard on the roof of the building next door.

He was able to stand and brushed himself off as he looked at me. "Are you alright?"

"Everything but my eyebrows hurt, okay!" I stood and brushed myself off. I scrubbed my palms over my face to try and calm the adrenaline pulsing through me.

He rolled his eyes and promptly grabbed my wrist as we jogged to the roof entrance. The door was rusty, so it easily fell off the hinges when he kicked it in. We were running down the many, many stairs until I begged him to stop so I could catch my breath. I thanked the heavens that I thought to wear flats instead of heels for this adventure.

He released my wrist as I panted in ragged heaves. I didn't hear him say anything. I looked up at him and saw him glancing around. Roof, stairs, other doors, bottom of stairs.. It was like he was making sure we weren't followed. I tapped his shoulder when I caught my breath. He grabbed my wrist again as we continued running down even more stairs until we reached the lower-level parking garage.