Chapter 13

I went to bed shortly after Kuro left. I slept for a few hours but found myself wide awake at around two thirty in the morning. I tossed and turned for a bit, not having any luck in falling back to sleep. I got up and was about to change when I heard my phone vibrate on the bedside table. I had it on the charger, but I had apparently forgot to completely turn it off.

I walked over and checked it as I squinted in the darkness of my room.

1 New Notification

A text? This late? I opened my messaging app and noticed the text came from an unfamiliar number. I sighed as I opened it and read it anyway.

You awake, Iris? Let me in.

I glared at the text as I walked over to the window and lifted the blinds a fraction so I could peek out without whoever was out there noticing, but I didn't see anyone. I then walked out of my room and to the front door, looking through the peephole first. I cringed as soon as I saw Toga casually rocking back and forth on her heels while she peered up and down the corridors. I pinched the bridge of my nose and opened the door.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" I said in an annoyed whisper as she bounced through the front door. She didn't say anything as I shut and locked it behind me.

"Let's go cause some trouble, Iris!" she cheered, her voice a bit too high as I shushed her.

"Not so loud. People are sleeping. I would, Toga, but I'm hesitant to after my run in with Dabi last time. I don't remember what happened." I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the doorframe in an attempt to seem casual. I didn't want her to know how much that last bit bothered me.

Toga smiled as she walked towards my room. "Come with me then, and I'll try to fill you in. I was there too, you know." She looked over her shoulder and winked at me.

My eyes widened as she said this. I followed her into my room, hoping I'd get some sort of answers. She sat on the edge of my bed and was practically oozing excitement at just the thought of giving me the information I wanted. She bounced in place and took a deep breath as she launched into her story.

"Okay well, Dabi came to visit you because David wanted to test your abilities, right? So, Dabi tracked down some posers who thought they were hardcore villains and wanted you to use your quirk on them. I showed up as soon as you and Dabi let me know where you were. You didn't show those guys an ounce of mercy." Her face split in a grin so wide I could see all her teeth. "Blood everywhere! It was amazing! You snapped their arms and legs like twigs!" She snapped her fingers for emphasis, her expression so enraptured that I could hardly look her in the face. "Dabi seemed to be the only one that could get you to stop. Apparently, their screams alerted some stupid heroes in the area and we took off. You looked absolutely ruthless covered in blood!" She pressed her palms to her cheeks, beaming widely at me.

I.. I hurt people? But how? How was I unaware of it? Why can't I remember it?!

I pressed the palm of my hand to my forehead and closed my eyes hard, trying to fit the information she just gave me into the gaping hole of my memories. "Why can't I remember any of it, Toga?" I dropped my hand and looked at her as the realization of what I had done started to sink in.

Her delighted expression morphed into a pout as she stared at me. "Beats me. Maybe you were traumatized by it and blocked it out." She blinked, then brightened considerably. "If you keep blocking it out, you could do so much more and not worry about overthinking about it! How cool is that? That could be your famous villain catchphrase or something if someone points a finger at you!"