Chapter 33: Katherine

Chapter 33: Recalling the Pain

"Hey. That's enough." Binawi sa akin ni Chloe ang baso na hawak ko.

"Fuck off!" Asik ko at muling kinuha ang baso.

"You're drunk, Kath." Sabi naman ni Jasmine.

"Let me be! I'm sick of this life! I'm sick of that stupid bitch always getting everything without even trying!" I said pathetically.

Nandito kami sa dulo na cottage ng resort.

Why does it always have to be Aleia?

"Kath pabigay naman nito kay Aleia oh." Sabi nung gwapong senior namin mula sa senior high department.

"Sige."

Aleia and I easily became friends when we first met during grade 7. Actually, she's everyone's friend. Yung tipong kahit saan mo ilagay magfifit in.

Pretty, smart, friendly and sporty too. Their family's filthy rich too.

I never really mind whenever someone seek me for help in courting Aleia. I've never felt insecured towards her.

I said to myself... Who wouldn't like Aleia? She have it all.

In an elite school like Clarkson University, it's hard to standout cause everyone's from high society. But Aleia is not just anyone. Her presence really demands attention-- a certified head turner.

I'm also not ugly, I even received modelling offers at a young age. The thing is... When the agent saw me with Aleia, they forgot that it's me who they want to recruit and pursue Aleia instead.

I said to myself... That's understandable. Aleia is prettier than me.

"Let's just model for them together, Kath..." Kinawit niya ang braso niya sa akin.

I smiled at her. "Sure."

And the main reason why it's so hard to hate her, because she's so damn nice to everyone.

I said to myself, It's not her fault that she's perfect.

Before I knew it, we're in 9th grade.

I met Dan Ramsey Connor, the captain of soccer team. He asked my favourite cartoon character before Valentine's Day and I thought he likes me.

That's what I thought.

It's been a tradition for students to make a chocolate on Valentine's Day during the Homeroom class. I made a chocolate for Ramsey. After class, nauna na ako kay Aleia. She's been occupied with students who gives her gifs and etc.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw him waiting on a bench at the first floor of our building.

I practice what I'm gonna say to him when I give this chocolate and when I'm about to approach him, he's already laughing with Aleia.

And the bitter truth that I've been ignoring all this time is right in front of me.

Of course.

Ramsey likes Aleia too.

I remember feeling butterflies in my stomach whenever his coach and teammates tease him to me. Maybe they think I'm stupid for smiling foolishly.

I threw the chocolate in the trash can and cried my heart out inside the library.

I can't bring myself to hate Aleia. She didn't even flirt or seduce him. Everyone likes her without her even trying.

Even my parents compare me to Aleia.

"Why can't you be like Aleia? She has good grades while you suck at everything. How can you be so stupid!? We're just wasting money one you! All you does is look pretty!" Mom always say to me.

I started drinking at 16. I pretended to be an adult by wearing revealing clothes. My body's matured anyways so it didn't became a problem going in and out of different bars in Manila.

"Katherine... What's happening to you? Let's go home." Aleia said one time when she followed me.

She's wearing simple dress yet she can get everyone's attention. The guy I'm making out with is eyeing her too.

I don't know if I just had too much drink or I just got fed up of being in her shadow.

"Fuck off Aleia!"

"What?" She looks startled and confused. Damnit! She still looks pretty no matter what.

"I am so done with you! I want you to get the fuck out of my life!"

"What's the problem? Did I do something wrong?"

"That's the problem! You didn't do anything wrong! I am so tired of not hating you."

"You're just drunk. Let's go home." She grab my arm.

"Let go!" Nagpumiglas ako. "Go! I didn't treat you as a friend anyway!"

◽◽◻️◽◽

"Saan ka pupunta?" Tanong ni Chloe nang tumayo ako at naglakad ng pagewang gewang.

"Back to the party. I'm the host remember?" I'm gonna make them remember their dark secret. It's not faor that I'm always the one who's hurting.

I fetch my bag and get the flashdrive. I can barely see where I'm stepping.

Bumalik ako sa venue at nagsalita sa mic. "How's everyone!?" Nagsihiyawan sila. "How about we watch videos to recall our high school memories?" I said devilishly. Maraming nagboo pero natahimik lahat nang magsimula ang video na pinaplay ko.

"Full video! Full video!" Sigaw ng mga batchmates namin. I even wave my hands like a maestro leading her choir. All these hypocrites are so easy to manipulate. One moment they praise you and next moment they stab your back. They're just a bunch of suckers. They prey on the one who's at the top. Spoiled rich kids who bully people for fun. Preying on the mighty Aleia gives them unmatched satisfaction. Who wouldn't want to taint the reputation of the best?

It's a video from my debut.

I saw Aleia with Ramsey exiting Hotel Austria, the venue of my party, and I noticed something on her gown so I silently followed them.

There's blood behind her gown. I saw it when she dropped the coat that she uses to cover her behind.

Fueled by hatred and alcohol, I recorded Aleia as Ramsey escorted her to his car. She's limping while Ramsey support her.

I want to get some of the cctv footage of the hotel but the bloody owner won't allow me. Even bribing the staffs is a failure.

Good thing my phone's camera is good.

I'm gonna expose that the Aleia that everyone loves so much is just a façade.

Now...

Will everybody still like Aleia?