Chapter 81

December 19th, 2019

*Cato*

I descended the staircase, watching as Amelia came hurrying up without even glancing at me, looking upset. Alan was scowling when I found them in the kitchen but he quickly took off after her.

I glanced around at my brothers for an explanation. "What's up with them?"

Xander sighed heavily. "She's sick - as you know - but she's refusing to stay home and rest,'

"It's up to her," I told him.

He gaped at me. "But she's sick!"

"She's sick, not dying. Amelia's seventeen years old, she can make her own decisions. If she feels like going then she can go,"

Xander was getting ready to argue with me until he was cut off by the sound of yelling coming from upstairs. The words were muffled through the floors, but I knew it was Alan and Amelia. The twins were having their first fight, and it definitely didn't sound good.

Cayden and Colton came in from the living room, glancing at us worriedly.

"I didn't know she could get that mad," Eli whispered.

"Alan pushed her too far," Xander muttered with a sigh.

I ran a hand through my hair, leaning against the counter.

"Should we go up there and stop them?" Cayden asked, nerves edging his voice.

"They'll be fine," I said. "It might do them good to hash things out," I wasn't really too concerned with them arguing. As long as they kept things under control, I didn't feel the need to intervene. Anyone could tell you that Alan had a nasty temper, but who knew what Amelia was capable of?

I helped myself to a plate of breakfast, scrolling through work emails on my phone as I ate.

"Stop trying to eavesdrop," Xander chastised the kids, who were all obviously straining to hear the twins' argument.

Even five minutes later the shouts hadn't stopped, and I finally realised I needed to break it up. It was almost ten-thirty anyway, Amelia and I needed to get going.

I jogged up the stairs, the words becoming clearer and clearer the closer I got to her bedroom.

". . . then maybe I shouldn't be living here!" I heard my sister shout, and my entire body froze.

"Don't fucking say that," Alan snapped.

I couldn't even tell who was angrier at this point. I willed myself not to listen anymore, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. Even as a kid, I'd hardly ever seen my little sister upset; only once, after our parents died and we were all separated.

Alan was apologising for something now, his voice sounding near tears.

I opened the door to her room, finding the two of them standing in the doorway to her ensuite. "Amelia," I interrupted, both of their gazes snapping to mine. "We need to go,"

She nodded wordlessly, wiping the tears from her face and coming to meet me where I stood.

Alan lunged and caught her by the wrist. "Mia, please,"

I'd never heard his voice so raw. Part of me wanted to rip his hand off of her, but Amelia did that herself, glaring at him.

"Don't, Alan," she snapped.

We left him standing in her bedroom as I guided her downstairs, Xander meeting us there.

"Good luck," he said softly. He glanced at Amelia and mouthed "I'm sorry,"