Chapter 96

December 24th, 2019

"Can we get McDonald's?" Colton and Cayden pleaded in unison as we drove through the busy streets of Manhattan.

Cato groaned. "God, I hate it when you two do that,"

"So that's a yes, then?" Colton had a devious grin on his face.

"Fine, I don't see why not," Cato answered, switching lanes.

I stared silently out the window. I wasn't in the mood to eat anything right now, and I'd never had much fast food anyway, so I didn't care.

Cato pulled up alongside a corner building, parking by the sidewalk. "Colton, you're coming with me,"

"Why do I have to go?" Colton complained, folding his arms.

"Because you asked,"

"So did Cayden!"

Cato rolled his eyes. "Do you want it or not?"

Colton scowled but agreed, folding his arms across his chest as Cayden began listing off his order.

"What do you want?" Cato asked, turning to face me.

I shrugged mindlessly. "I'm okay, I don't need anything,"

He gave me a pointed look before momentarily glancing back towards the boys, who were arguing over food preferences. "I know what your doctor said, and you don't have to be embarrassed by anything," Cato told me, lowering his voice.

"I know," I answered quietly.

He sighed softly. "Well, I'm going to get you something anyway. You don't have to eat it if you don't want to," He and Colton climbed out of the car, disappearing up the sidewalk and inside the building.

"So . . . ." Cayden leaned forward, propping his elbows up on the console. "The gala's tonight,"

"I know," I didn't turn to look at him.

"Did something happen at your appointment?" he asked tentatively, his voice soft. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I said, even though I knew he knew I was lying.

He was silent for a long time before he slipped his hand into mine, gripping it tightly.

I glanced down at our hands briefly, turning away after a moment. I did, however, squeeze his hand back.

Cayden sat forward a bit more, resting his head against my shoulder, his blond curls grazing my neck ever-so-slightly. "I'm really glad you're here," he murmured. "I don't think I've told you before,"

It was true; he hadn't, but his words made me feel better all the same.

"And if you want to talk about it, I wouldn't mind,"

I mustered up a tiny smile, finally turned my head towards him and taking in his warm brown eyes. "Thanks," It wasn't that I meant to be so distant again, I just couldn't stop thinking about what Dr Candice had told me. I might not be as broken on the inside anymore, but now I was falling apart on the inside too.

Cayden pulled away from me as Colton and Cato returned, plopping down inside the car with two greasy bags.

Colton distributed the food to everyone, handing me a small carton of fries and a little brown box. "We got you chicken nuggets," he explained. "I thought you might like those," He flashed me a gentle grin.

Cato pulled away from the curb as the boys began bickering over their sauce containers. I swear those two could not share anything.

I glanced down at the food in my lap, unsure of what to do. I wasn't really hungry but I knew I should probably eat it anyway. I sighed quietly, taking a few bites from a nugget. I saw Cato glance towards me as I ate, a small smile tugging at his lips before he looked away again.