Chapter 100

December 24th, 2019

*Alan*

I watched my sister go off hand in hand with Neo to join the rest of the people dancing. Harry and Phoebe went off to dance too, and most of our other friends were busy either eating or flirting with the other girls there.

I spotted Janie standing alone by the stage, watching Neo and Mia, a soft smile on her face.

"Go get her," Cyrus nudged me forward, wiggling his eyebrows at me teasingly.

"Shut up," I muttered, even though he was right; I didn't want to wait any longer.

I left Cyrus, moving through the crowd until I reached where she stood. "Hey," I said awkwardly.

Janie turned to me, her eyes flickering with happiness. "Hi," she whispered. Her cheeks were suddenly rosy as she smiled.

"I think you already know what I'm going to ask," I confessed, forcing myself to maintain eye

contact even though my heart was pounding like crazy. This would be really awkward if she said no.

"Well look at you," Janie mused, folding her arms. "I never thought I'd see Alan Adams all

nervous over a girl,"

I smirked. "Yeah, well this girl is pretty cute,"

She raised her eyebrows. "Oh yeah?"

"I-"

Janie grabbed my arm. "Shut up and dance with me, Adams,"

"Yes ma'am," I couldn't help but grin as she tugged me out onto the dance floor. And right as we got settled, the song changed into something slower. I was positive Xander had done it just to spite me even though Janie was laughing softly.

I gently put my hands on her waist and she hooked hers around my neck.

"Who knew you were capable of doing this," she told me.

I frowned. "What? Dancing?"

"Being nice,"

I rolled my eyes, shoving her lightly, except she shoved me right back. "Feisty," I commented.

Janie gazed up at me determinedly, her brown eyes sparkling. "Trust me, Alan Adams, you have no idea,"

"Just try to keep up," I teased.

She rolled her eyes with a chuckle, turning her head towards Mia.

I followed her gaze, seeing my sister watching us intently, a proud smile on her face. "My sister set this whole thing up, didn't she?" I asked in amusement.

"Of course she did," Janie answered. "It's payback for me pushing her and Neo together,"

I stared at her. "You're responsible for that?!"

Janie gave me a stern look, though it was highly contrasted by a small trace of a smile. "Look at your sister over there, see how happy she is?"

"Alright alright," I held my hands up in surrender. "I'll admit it,"

She poked my chest playfully. "Say it," she teased. "Say how much you like them together,"

I instantly felt my face go red. "You'll never hear me say that. Ever,"

"I'll just pretend you're thinking it," she informed me with a smile.

I raised a brow in amusement. "So this is how it's gonna be, huh?"

Janie shrugged. "Take it or leave it,"

I pulled her closer. "Oh I'm definitely taking it," I told her. I couldn't break my gaze from hers, silence falling between us.

"Y'know," she said softly. "Dating my best friend's brother. That's definitely going to take some getting used to,"

"You're my sister's best friend," I countered. "I think that's definitely the weirder thing to hear,"

"I think you might be right," Janie breathed quietly, her face just inches from mine.

"Are we?" I asked, staring at her lips longingly.

"Are we what?"

"Dating?"

Her eyes were gazing into mine playfully. "Are you going to ask me first?"

I rolled my eyes before crashing my lips into hers, my hands cupping her head gently. For several seconds the world seemed to be frozen in time, nothing else existing at that moment. I finally had something I never thought was possible: someone willing to love me for me.

We pulled apart briefly, our foreheads resting together.

"Go out with me?" I murmured breathily, our eyes meeting.

"Yes," she answered, pulling me in for another kiss.

We eventually pulled apart, breathing hard as the song changed again, this one more upbeat like the first one had been.

"People are staring, aren't they?" I asked, glancing around.

"Yep," Janie confirmed, her cheeks flushed a deep pink.

"My sister included?" I didn't need to hear her answer to know, as I could plainly see Mia watching us intensely and looking very excited. Even Cyrus and the rest of my friends were watching and laughing. And to my absolute horror, all of my brothers were watching too. Cato had this stupid amused smile on his face while Eli and the triplets were pointing and laughing.

"I hope you know just how much crazy you've signed up for," I warned her with a soft laugh and shake of my head.

But Janie just smiled. "Bring it on,"