15

Sana was shocked to hear what just Shalini said. A brother had killed his own elder brother. What was the reason behind this extreme step that he took? But before asking anything, she needed to find out if Rishab was Sidharth. 

“Aunty, Do you have any photographs of Sidharth? Can you show me please?”, Sana asks.

Shalini nods her head and goes inside the room. Sana sat there for a few minutes. Those were the most torturing moments of her life. If Sidharth and Rishab are not the same, she will accept he is dead and return back to her small world. However if she finds out that Sidharth and Rishab are the same, then what will she do? That will prove that Rishab is no more. But the mystery behind his death and his attempt to hide his identity could bring another storm in her life. 

Shalini returns back with an album in her hand. She sits down and wipes the cover with her saree before handing it to Sana. She with trembling hands, takes the album and slowly opens it. Her eyes fall on beautiful photographs of a cute baby on the first page. As she slowly turns the pages, she witnesses the transition of the cute baby into an adorable boy then a sweet teenager and finally a handsome man. 

She stops there. She couldn’t see anything as everything looked hazy. She blinks twice and water drops fall on the photographs. She wipes her eyes and his face is visible again. The same handsome face that she had fallen in love with.  He smiles at the camera showing those cute bunny teeth. Unknowingly a smile appears on her face too.

There are many photographs of him.  From inside a swimming pool, while playing chess with another young guy, in warm clothes and goggles, holding ski poles and posing on the top of snow covered mountains. And in army clothes, standing beside his mother, smiling. He is her Rishab and he is none other than Sidharth Singh Shekhawat. 

Shalini says, “Sidharth was the best son any mother could have asked for. He was so good in studies and excelled in sports. Horse riding, badminton, football, swimming, skiing everything. Unlike Shantanu he was a calm and happy child. From an young age, he took care of his brother and me like an adult.”
Sana asks, “Can you please tell me more about him? I promise I will tell you my side of the story, the reason behind my inquisition to know.”

“Sidharth was a bright kid like I said. He got selected in the National Defence Academy and went to Pune to study there. Then he went on to join Indian Military Academy in Dehradun for a year. I was there to witness his passing out parade and his antim pag to Chetwode Hall. You know he had received the Sword of Honour for being the best Gentleman Cadet. I was so proud of him.”, Shalini says as she wipes her eyes.

“He was posted in different areas of North and North East. He got posted a year later in Northern Kashmir as a part of the Rashtriya Rifles. They were involved in many counter insurgency operations. " Shalini looks at his photo, "In one such operation at the border area, he and another army man were captured and taken across the border to POK. For two days, he was held hostage along with the soldier by a few militants. He somehow got out but he couldn't save the other soldier."

"My Sidharth changed after that. He took a leave to travel to various places. After that he returned and announced that he will not be returning back to the army. We were shocked but supported his decision. He took a premature release.", Shalini pauses for a minute and then continues.
"For over a year after that, he was always away from home. When I used to ask him about what he is doing, his answer was business tours. I never knew what kind of business he was doing. Shantanu had doubts on his brother and that caused friction between them. But I trusted him, always."

Shalini stops, thinking about something and then continues,"Shantanu was posted in Kupwara then. They got information that a few terrorists were inside a building. They left immediately. There was heavy shelling when they reached the spot. The army and the BSF were trying to defend themselves and get those men. The firing continued till late night. Shantanu and a few guys decided to enter the building throughout a back door."