22

Sidharth opens the laptop and clicks on an icon. He then types something and a few windows open. He could see his mother sitting on the bed holding a photo frame. He knows it is his photo that she is holding. She wipes the corner of her eyes and leans on the headboard. She brings the photo frame near her face and kisses it. She then puts it near her bed and closes her eyes.
Sidharth looks at her sadly but he is smiling. She has finally taken his photo out of her drawer.

He clicks on the other window to find Shantanu sitting on the chair. He is thinking about Sidharth and the incidents of the previous night. He is not having any doubts but he is worried for his big brother.
"Don't worry, chote. I will be okay.", he whispers.

He clicks on another window and there he can see her. Sana sleeps peacefully on his bed, in his room. A soft smile appears on his face. He is happy to know that she is sleeping without any worries. She trusts him that he will return to her very soon. He runs his fingers over her image on the screen.

"Tera mujh pe yun yakeen karna,
Mujhe teri taraf aur leh aata hai.
Jab bhi kuch sochne baithun,
Dil tujh ko hi yaad karta hai.
Tu itni nadaan hai,
Phir bhi tu mujhe samajh leti hai.
Main kabhi kuch na balun,
Tu phir bhi meri khamoshi padh leti hai.
Ek nazar mein tu bas gayi dil mein
Shiddat se chahun ab tujhe main.
Duri bhale aaj jism hai humari.
Dil se tere hamesha juda hun main.

Sidharth stands in the tiny balcony of his bedroom overlooking the old houses. The narrow lanes are vacant now, with only a few dogs carrying their own fights. A few people sleep on the veranda of the shops. The city is peaceful now but it is just a matter of hours. With the first ray of sun, he will again witness the hustle and bustle. Traffic jams with all kinds of vehicles, fighting their way out of the narrow streets, filled with pedestrians and cattles. The shops will open, selling all kinds of colourful items from clothes, to flowers to fake jewellery. The smell of mouth watering street food could be found among the smell of spices and local perfume. There is everything to satisfy every sense. These busy lanes of Old Delhi have not lost their charm.

Cities have always amazed him, especially the ones with great history. He has spent hours in ruins, clicking pictures. If not in this profession, he would have surely become a photographer. He smiles,"Not in this life Sidharth. Maybe the next one or not."
He brings out his camera and clicks the picture of the sleeping city. He captures the old man sleeping inside a tent of torn mosquito net. His lens also captures the old mosque, standing next to a temple. This is India. He smiles.
He hears a click sound and waits.

"You never knock before coming in.", he says.
"When you are in this line of work, knocking on the door is no longer a habit. You know it quite well, don't you?", she asks.
"I know but you see, it's night time. I could be with some girl in some compromising position. I don't think you would like to see that.", he laughs.
"No. But I know you are with whom at what time. And now that you are so committed, I can't imagine you with some other girl. Right S?"
Sidharth nods his head, "You can never be wrong. Never."

He turns to face her. She is elder to Sidharth, in her 30s. She is fair, tall and beautiful. She wears a light blue shirt and black trousers.

"No one is ever right Sidharth. You know that. I just try to stick to protocols and.. "
Sidharth cuts her short, "I don't. That's why you are here. Isn't it Meera or should I still call you M? Protocol?"
Meera smiles," You know these are important. Being in the military, I believed you understood their value. Then why are you making fun of them?"
"When did I make fun of anything?"
"Then what is in your tone? Sarcasm? Why? You tried to leave everything in the middle. You were leaving with that girl. And now you are doing it again? Don't you think we know where you go sometimes at night?"