18

Major Sidharth Singh Shekhawat, son of Major Shekar Singh Shekhawat, can be anything but a traitor..
The words keep ringing in her ears. She has arrived at the Shekhawat house and is unpacking her bags. The outhouse is a cosy little space with one bedroom, a living area and a small kitchen. It is little away from the main house, which can be reached following a pebbled road through the garden. The space is used wisely with light furniture and simple artefacts. The glass windows give it a spacious look, allowing a lot of light and breeze.

Her thoughts about the meeting are broken by a knock at the door. It's Shantanu standing with a smile.
Sana smiles back and says,"Please come in."
"So. You like the place?", he asks.
"Yes, it's very cosy and comfortable. I am already feeling at home."
Shantanu looks around the room and says,"Mom has really maintained everything on her own. The place is still the same."
"You have memories in this place."
Shantanu smiles,"Yes. A lot of childhood memories."

"With your brother?", she asks
Shantanu stares at her, "You know about my brother?"
Sana nods her head, "Aunty has told me about him."
Shantanu thinks for sometime and then says,"Mom usually doesn't talk about him. I don't know how she told you ."
"You also don't like talking about him. Why? Do you really believe that he did something wrong?",she asks.

Shantanu does not reply and turns to leave. 
Sana says,"I am really sorry Shantanu for asking such a personal question. I am just a stranger and I have no right to talk about your family."
Shantanu stops and without turning towards him says,"Sidharth was my elder brother. He had always protected me, took care of me.. He was my inspiration."
He turns and continues,"When I joined NDA, I used to feel so proud seeing him there. He was the best cadet of his batch. My mom and I were always so proud of him. But he changed somehow. I know as a soldier, you see things that can change you. However, becoming a..traitor..No. there could be no justification for that."

Sana could see anger and hurt in his eyes as he continues,"Today, I feel ashamed of being called his brother. I am even looked at with the eyes of suspicion by many at the camp. How can I and mom talk about his betrayal? How?"
He takes a deep breath,"I think mom loves you and trusts you so she spoke to you about him. But I really have nothing to say about him."

Sana smiles and says,"That day you were talking about promises. I told you about trust. The person I was talking about has lots of secrets but I trust him. I know he can't do anything wrong. And you know what, I hardly know him. Just a few months was enough to build that kind of trust."
She goes and picks up an old drawing copy from the desk. She gives it to him,"You know your brother for over 25 years. You both have grown together, lived under one roof, shared so much among yourselves. You both share the same blood, the same surname and a hero father and a dedicated mother. Ask yourself, do you really believe what you saw or what your heart is saying to you?"

Shantanu stares at her as he takes the copy and gets out of the house. 

"Mom?", Shantanu calls, as he enters her bedroom.
Shalini is reading a book, she looks up and smiles.
"What happened?"
"I need to talk to you."
"Come in. Sit here. Has Sana settled in the house? I will go in the evening to meet her."
"Yes. She has. Mom, can I ask you something?"he asks, coming closer.

Shalini looks at the drawing copy in his hand and nods her head.
"Mom, why did you talk about..Bhai with Sana? I mean you don't discuss him with anybody then why her?"
Shalini takes the copy from his hand and opens it to look inside. There are drawings made by kids in them. They have been signed by Sidharth and Shantanu below.

Her eyes fill with tears and she says,"With whom shall I discuss then? Who is there? Sana became so close to me, in just one meeting. I couldn't stop talking to her about him."
Shantanu sits near her feet,"You believe him."
Shalini gazes at him,"I am a mother. I know my kids more than anyone. How can I believe that my son can be a traitor? How?"
"Mom, I saw everything. How can I believe he is not? I can't think like you and Sana."
"I don't know what you saw. But I know Sidharth can never cheat his country, his father, his blood. Shekhar' s blood flows in his veins, he can never go against it."