thirty-six

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX;
• TRYING TO BAKE •

"how does it feel when everyone is looking at you when you walk into school?" max asks el as she shrugs.

"i don't think they were looking at me." el says.

"i'm sorry but were you the one who pulled up in a ferrari and a lace silk dress?" max asks.

"and what is wrong with the dress!?" el exclaims with a laugh.

"uh, it's a hot dress?" max says in a obvious tone.

el laughs, "mhm, sure."

"i mean, you gotta admit people were watching you." mike cuts in, eating a piece of chocolate.

el also takes one out of the packet in his hands, "they were probably just surprised that i didn't die from my days of disappearance." she says sarcastically.

"ha ha." he says.

she pokes his arm playfully as he does the same back.

"can we go skate after school? i don't wanna go home." she says, "and i want ice cream because we haven't hung together as a party in forever."

"it wasn't that long ago." lucas says.

"well we were supposed to the day before i flew but when i got to mr mikes house, everyone went poof!" she exclaims as they all laugh.

"i'm serious guys. you guys just disappeared and left a depressed mike on his bed." she continues.

"to be fair, my dad came back so of course everyone left." mike says.

"okay never mind then. but still, we have to hang out before i go crazy at home." she says.

"you weren't even at home." he points out.

"um, i was. just back in new york." she tells him.

"and you had the time of your life."

"well people broke into my home and i had to kill them." she shrugs softly.

"that went dark real quick." dustin mumbles.

el just smiles at him, "i gotta go to the library. who wants to come?"

"what are you even going to do there?" will asks, "that's the most boring place ever."

"you get to discover books, will." she rolls her eyes with a laugh.

//

"kai, no." el speaks into the phone as she walks down the hall.

"el, i'm sorry, please." he pleads.

"what do you think no means? i'm not going to eat dinner with you." she scoffs.

"will you ever forgive me?"

"this is strike 3." she says quietly, her tone was sad, "i just can't believe you can hurt me again so easily."

"i really am sorry. it won't happen again, i promise." he says.