twenty-three

Jas woke up pretty early the next morning- it was race day, well at least for those in Formula two. Jack was already up and pretty much ready to go, she saw the pressure as every British driver felt going into this weekend. The stands are filled with everyone from their home crowd, let alone all the factory workers who can make it as it's pretty near most of them. The tension just felt high from the moment Jas got up. She had texted Lando, but she didn't expect him to reply anytime soon, she found herself grabbing some toast before making her way up to Silverstone.

The atmosphere as she entered the Paddock was unmatched, the bustle of everyone frantically trying to get everything together. She entered the Williams garage, they all seemed in high spirits (probably due to the fact they were able to sleep in their own beds last night).

"Ah, Jas- long-time no see," George said emerging from behind the garage.

"Nice to see you too, how are you feeling about today?" Jas asked.

"Not too bad, I quite like being at home. I can't say that's the case for everyone." George laughed.

"Yeah, I can imagine," Jas said trailing off her sentence.

"I've need to make my way over to sky- do you want to come?" George.

"Do you even need to ask," Jas joked.

They both began to make their way to various interviewers understandably there was more than usual everyone wanted to see the home racers.

FP3 was all good but soon enough qualifying came around and all the drivers got prepared. Lando did decent to qualify 8th and looked in good form for the race tomorrow. Before Jas knew it, the feature race was soon approaching so Jas made her way to the track, being so close to the action was incredible and the crowd was roaring.

The top three battled it out but that was the least of Jas's concerns, Jack was incredible he had some good overtakes especially over Devries. He ended up in 5th with was incredible and set him up well for the sprint race tomorrow.

She made her way back to the Williams garage where she found herself bumping into Lando.

"Hey Jas, it's so good to see you," Lando said hugging her tight, she was just the person he needed to see.

"Hey, you did great today," Jas said while wrapping her arms around him. "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, just been a long day, I can't wait for this weekend to be over," Lando said while sighing. "Do you want to come back to mine after, we can watch a film tonight or anything. To be honest I just want to be with you".

"Of course, I drove here though so I'll meet you back at yours?" Jas replied.

"What's going on here?" George said as he approached both of them, "You guys up for the after-race party tomorrow, all different teams. Nice British celebration." George could see Jas looked confused. "Jas obviously you're invited".

"It sounds good to me," Jas said surprised by this news.

"Yeah, I'm down to go," Lando also said slightly less convincingly.

"I'll see you both there then, well and tomorrow," George said as he laughed and walked away.

Lando and Jas both looked at each other slightly confused but they made their way up to the interview Lando needed to go to before he debriefed with his team.

"I'll meet you at mine then?" Lando double-checked.

"Yep, I need to go and congratulate Jack- I'll see you later." She said while kissing him on the cheek. "Good luck,"

Jas made her way towards a few of the F2 people, she began to ring Jack knowing she had no hope of finding him. He told her where she was, and she eventually managed to find him through the sea of people. He looked pretty happy with himself.

"Jas mate 5th at home, now that's not too bad," Jack said grinning.

"Well done, you deserve it and I have a feeling you could do even better tomorrow," Jas said as she nudged him.

"Just need to get tomorrow done and then celebrations," Jack said relieved.

"You've got this- you did so well." Jas smiled. "I'm staying at Lando's tonight so don't worry if I just don't turn up, I guess" She chuckled. Jack had kind of assumed this and by his reaction having the place all to himself before the sprint race was what he needed.

"Have fun," Jack said with a growing smile.

The day in the paddock came to a close, Jas said bye to everyone at Williams. They were all happy they could be with their family this weekend it was comforting to them, spending so many weekends of the year away to finally be at home. Jas drove back to Lando's which was a decent hour and a half journey. Not to Jas's surprise, he hadn't made it back before her, so she found the spare key where he had said and let herself in. She didn't know what to do with herself so watching tv was the only logical option. Although Jas did begin to drift off then she heard the door shut.

"Jas, are you here?" Lando said and to his relief, she popped her head up from the sofa. "I was slightly worried".

"I don't know why I'm so tired I've hardly done anything," Jas said.

"It's hard spectating," Lando said joking. He put all of his stuff down before going over to Jas and embracing her. They both found themselves making dinner as Lando discussed qualifying, it was nice to have someone who wasn't in his team to talk to about it, someone who wouldn't over analyse everything he said.

"Yeah, I felt like I could've slightly pushed more today but I didn't want to end up in the wall so," Lando said while cooking some chicken.

"I think that's fair enough," Jas said smirking towards him. "You know I am excited about the after-party thing tomorrow, it should be fun".

"A nice relax after the weekend but I do prefer to play cod," Lando said as Jas turned to look at him, "I know it's sad but it's what I enjoy".

"It's not sad, I rarely go out and after the other night I am slightly terrified."

"And I promised George, I'd go it being our first home race in f1," Lando said smiling to himself. "I never thought I'd make it. Never."

"You deserve it, I just wish you could see yourself the way the world sees you- well the way I see you," Jas said.

"Thanks, Jas- it means a lot especially from you." He served up the food and they began to eat. Cooking chicken was about as far as his talent would take him.

"The chicken is delicious Lando."

"I'm glad, with all the blood sweat, and tears I put into it," Lando said. "Sometimes I do think being a chef was the path I should've taken".

"All right, Gordon Ramsey" Jas started laughing at him. They soon winded down Lando went to play some Cod and Jas didn't mind just watch Tv and she had some work to crack on with anyway. A few hours flew by, this tended to happen when Jas got engrossed in research on cases and he found it a breeze to play for hours on end, Jas got up and got herself ready for bed.

Jas had already dozed off before he found himself getting into bed, Jas looked beautiful while she slept. He tried to sneak under the covers without waking Jas and he gently put his arm around her.