twenty-six

Jas woke up early after the party, she looked and saw the absolute mess that had been left from last night. Callum and Lando had crashed on the sofas and they looked fast asleep. It was so early that the air felt cold even though it was the English summer. The smell was pretty vile and made her want to leave even more, she had left a few windows open before she left. She got in her car- she knew she shouldn't drive knowing how much she had drunk but she didn't want to be anywhere near here. Jas sat in silence in the car, she let her thoughts rule her head her mind was jumping everywhere.

There was something peaceful about the drive, the songs just hit a bit different. Jas found herself belting sad love songs as well as confident ego-boosting songs.

She quietly snuck into her parent's house, trying to close the door gently; she knew they wouldn't be up especially the morning after Silverstone. Jas couldn't go back to bed instead she got ready, had a shower. Her aim was to make herself feel better and more awake, even though she never drank coffee – today was the day to start. She grabbed herself some pastries from the kitchen and started some work to keep herself distracted from overthinking last night. Before Jas knew it a few hours had passed and her phone started blowing up, this was the last thing she needed so she threw her phone to the other side of the room and left to go on a walk. The thought of talking to anyone at the moment just did not seem appealing.

"Jas- we didn't expect to see you here?" Jas's mum said as Jas was trying to leave.

"Yeah I- wanted to come home for a bit, Silverstone got a bit mad," Jas said not wanting to talk for long.

"Your father and I had a wonderful time, pounding headache though." Her mum laughed and Jas managed to etch a fake smile.

The morning was still fresh, but it gave Jas some much-needed headspace, she was confused more than anything. It just felt so out of the blue, really unlike him. Jas's anger had already passed- she was just sad. She managed to walk for a few hours before going back home.

"Jas how long are you staying?" Her dad asked within seconds of her coming back.

"Huh, sorry. "as had her headphones blasting and couldn't hear a single thing.

"how long are you staying?"

"Just a few days, don't worry," Jas said reassuring them. "I just needed to come home for a bit, I forgot how overwhelming... the whole world is"

"It is, I don't blame you for coming home. Sometimes everything out there isn't the fantasy we make up in our head, rest up," He gave Jas a kind smile, these words as simple as they were meant so much to Jas.

"Thank you, I'm going to go do some work," Jas embraced her dad, it had been a while since they last hugged.

"Don't work too hard. Keep on going, you've got this." Jas ran back upstairs and just engrossed herself in her work and only really took breaks to play or just relax and watch Tv. Jas thought all she needed was herself but something about her dad's supports really meant more than anything, he had no idea what was going on and yet managed to say the perfect words.

*

A few days had passed, she began to enjoy her own company since her University had finished for the term, she only had a few loose ends to tie up.

"Bye, Jas. Try and maybe see someone today?" Her mum called out to her; both her parents had noticed how isolated Jas had been they knew something must've happened.

"Have a good day!" Her dad said.

Jas was sat in some joggers and a baggy t-shirt on the sofa eating and binging a whole series, this mixed with some work had been her 'routine'. Although the doorbell had rung soon after- Did mum leave something behind? Surely she'd have her keys? Jas reluctantly got up to open the door.