One

It was a winter day like any other.

Kratos had seen many of such days.

They were as cold as death and the wind that chased over the snowy mountain tops was as dry as the desert. The trees were naked, not wearing any of their green robes and the food was rare to find.

He liked such days.

They were calm and most of the time no creature dared to set foot outside its hiding place.

Only the ice creatures came sometimes. But they were a welcome distraction from the peaceful life he now had with Atreus.

Now, that the ashes of Faye had been bedded to their final rest, he was able to spent a little time with his son. Like a normal father would do.

"Father! Look father there is a deer.", full of energy, Atreus pat his fathers arm until he noticed. "Why are you looking at the sky so often? Are you dreaming? Ha! Don't get mad, I know you don't dream. But look, there is our breakfast."

A little too excited, the boy with the short brown hair pointed down a hill. Atreus was the name that Kratos had given him at birth. But a lot more often he called him boy.

It taught him to be disciplined and so he knew that his name was something special.

Something that was not used easily.

He had inherited the temper and excitement of his mother. But the hair and the strength of will was from his father.

It was something, that filled Kratos chest with pride.

"You're too nosy to hunt.", Kratos said, glaring at the deer.

It was a pretty animal, surprisingly well fed for the winter. It was tall, taller than a usual deer. And a strange crest was painted with gold onto the fur.

It must have been a magical creature. Perhaps it was one of the many friends of Freya.

Already drawing his bow, Atreus positioned himself to have a good view. From his position, it would have been impossible to miss.

The boy was a good archer, despite his temper and the restlessness that came with immature youth.

"Whenever you say, father.", he said, aiming for the chest of the deer.

For a moment, Kratos hesitated.

His golden eyes were watching the animal as if it was his prey and not the one of his son.

It raised its head, turned and spotted him standing at the top of the hill.

It was a strange creature. It had antlers as big and majestic as the ones of a moose. As its shimmering eyes fell onto him, it did not run in fear.

Nor did it want to attack.

Unmoved, the deer continued to search for food, while hitting its hooves into the deep snow.

"My arm is getting tired, father. Just say the word.", Atreus complained.

His arms were already shaking. Holding a bow was exhausting, especially for a child that was a third of Kratos' size.

"Leave it be.", he decided.

"Wa! But why? It will make a great breakfast."

"I will not repeat myself."

With a warning stare, he ordered his son to take the bow down.

But as the stubborn kid that he was, he did not listen without a fight.

As Kratos turned around to return home, Atreus took his chance and shot.

The arrow was quick but the deer was quicker.

With one jump, it escaped death as if it was a game and disappeared into the forest. But before vanishing, it stopped, turned its head and looked the boy straight in the eyes.

It was as if it was trying to mock him for deciding to be a fool, even though his father knew better.

"Boy!", Kratos voice ripped through the winter.

"Yes father...", immediately, Atreus jumped up and followed his fathers footsteps.

"Why did you shoot?", Kratos asked.

Surprised by the question, Atreus looked up.

"Huh? What do you mean?", he asked.

His father turned to him, a grim expression on his bearded face.

"Why did you shot? I told you to leave the deer be."

"But I am hungry. I wanted to kill it for food."

"We don't need food. We have plenty at home. Why did you try to shoot it?"

A little ashamed yet grumpy, Atreus kicked the snow. His boots caught a little stone, threw it into the air and against a tree.

"Because I was bored. I barely use my bow anymore. Ever since we stopped going on adventures it just sits in a corner and collects dust. I want to use it again."

"A weapon is not a toy."

"I know. But I am an archer. Mother has taught me how to use a bow. When I'm using it I feel close to her. Don't you know that? When you sleep in the bed that she had shared with you, don't you think of her?", with sad eyes, the boy looked at him.

He had missed his mother before she had become ashes.

He had missed her the entire time of their journey.

And he had missed her many nights after leaving her ashes in Jötunheim.

Sometimes he still cried when he thought about her too long.

But that did not change the fact that his mother had been gone for about two years now.

His young soul was still grieving.

Kratos' old mind had already said its last goodbye.

For a moment, Kratos kept his mouth shut. Then, he closed his eyes and turned away.

"Not anymore.", he said and walked around the house to get some fire wood.

"What do you mean, not anymore? Do you not love her?", Atreus asked in anger.

"I loved her when she was alive. Now, I keep her in good memory."

"How can you say that?!"

"One day, you will understand."

"I don't want to understand! Why are you so cold, father? How can you not miss mother? How can you not cry because of the loss?"

Angered, Kratos put down the firewood.

"I grieve as long as I have to. Do not think that my words are meant heartless. But do not think that I will accept the sorrow to chain me for the rest of my days, boy.", with warning eyes, he looked at his son. "Never think that I will be on my knees forever."