Six

"What a shame.", you said, looking him directly in the eyes. "I would have payed you well, for your help. Very well."

"I don't care for gold.", Kratos said, getting back on his feet. "We have everything we need. Leave."

You got back on your feet to, just so he wouldn't get angry. But you did not turn towards the door.

Instead, you stepped closer to him.

He was tall. In fact, he was huge. So huge that your head reached to the lower part of his bare chest. He must have had some giant blood in him.

Otherwise it would have been impossible for a man to look this broad.

You noticed how his skin was so pale, it looked like fresh ashes. The red ink of his tattoo was like fresh blood, a contrast that was making him look even more dangerous.

It was like a warning.

Mesmerised, you wanted to reach out and touch the huge scar that was running across his stomach.

But he slapped your hand away before your fingers could touch his skin.

If he had soft skin?

Or was it rough, like the look on his bearded face?

"Leave.", he repeated, this time his voice had a warning undertone.

He would remove you from his house with force, if he had to.

A soft laugh escaped you, as you lowered your head and glared at the boy that was looking at you with big eyes.

The desire to know more was shimmering in his eyes. They were blue. Probably his mothers eyes.

There was no fear in him, you could see it. He was a woke child, that had seen the pain and cruelty of this world. And he had decided to see it as a game.

Inside, his heart was still the one of a child. But his mind was the one of a growing man that knew how to take a life.

"I can bring her back, you know. My payment knows no boundaries.", you whispered to him.

Surprised, his eyes widened.

Kratos noticed and pushed him behind his back. Threatening, he came closer to your face.

His breath was hot, almost like fire.

"Do not try to manipulate my son. The answer is no. Nothing will change that.", he growled. "Not even a lie like this."

For a moment, the two of you just stared at each other. Your (E/C) eyes locked in his golden ones.

You could read the anger in his eyes, it was like a raging fire. But there was also something different.

Doubt.

He was doubting that you were telling the truth. Yet, he wanted it to be true.

After a few moments, a smile spread on your lips. Turning away, you closed your eyes and nodded, while walking towards the door.

"My apologies for bothering you then.", you said before exiting the cabin. "But keep in mind, my offer will remain as long as my powers don't return to me. I will be here, on this very earth, always, to listen if you call me. In case you change your mind, that is."

For a brief moment, Kratos just glared at you. Then, he stepped one step towards you.

It was a warning.

A threatening one.

"Leave.", he said, one more time.

You bowed as a goodbye.

Then, the door closed behind you and the cabin was like it always was. Silent, with an atmosphere of emptiness and loneliness.

For a long time, nobody dared to speak.

Mimir knew that Kratos' decision was absolut and nothing would have changed his mind.

He was a man of his word, even worse a man that tried to escape the influence of the gods, any gods.

Both, the gods form his world and the gods of the world he was living in right now were dangerous creatures that wanted to hold everything in their grip of terror and madness.

Behaving the way like Kratos did meant that he was either very brave or very stupid. Mimir had not made up his mind about it. But still, he knew that his words would have been a waste.

The boy, on the other hand, was the complete opposite of his father. Your words have moved him.

They had reached his heart and had planted a little spark of hope that only a boy of his age could have found realistic.

"Father, what if it wasn't a lie.", Atreus asked, grabbing his fathers arm with both of his hands.

He seemed so small next to the god of war. Almost fragile and killable.

Wordless, Kratos glared down at him.

"Don't be a fool.", he said and turned away to continue caring for his axe.

The blade was perfectly fine, sharper than any blade could have ever been and as clean as freshly fallen snow.

But still, its owner put a lot of care into it. It was a little bit like an obsession. Only when he was able to see his own face reflected on the metal, he stopped.

"It might be wishful thinking, I know. But what if?", the boy kept on insisting. "What if father? Mimir, tell me is it possible? Can gods bring back the dead?"

With a displeased growl, Kratos threw a warning glare to the head.

Swallowing thickly, Mimir tried to find the right words, that could tell him the truth without seeding more hope and trust inside the young ones chest.

"Not all of the gods, no. Most of them are only able to kill, lad. But... I must admit (Y/N) is a special case. The gift we were talking about. It is a powerful gift that can give and take life equally.", Mimir glared up to Kratos, testing if he was allowed to go on. "(Y/N) can bring people back to life. But this gift comes with a price. A very high price that nobody would want to pay. Remember that next time you meet, lad. It's a sweet promise. But every promise made by the gods is a promise that will bring you nothing but suffering."