Twenty-Two

"Father, look!", filled with happiness, Atreus jumped around the temple, pointing at the copy of Yggdrasil that was wrapping the world chamber into a soft shimmer of blue. "It's just like we left it! Everything is the same."

He laughed and jumped around a blue crystal.

He looked so happy and lighthearted, it would have made a grown man smile. Any grown man that wasn't his father.

Kratos face was like a stone. It only ever changed when he was struck by surprise, by something he did never expected to happen.

Or when he was angry. And he was angry a lot, you noticed.

Frowning in a sad matter, you lowered your gaze and looked away from him.

Your presence was already teasing his temper, but you feared he might burst out in anger if you looked at him too long. Secretly, you wished that the two of you could get along better.

He seemed like a good man, ruled by anger and his forgotten past. But that did not change the fact that his heart was beating the right way.

Wordlessly, Kratos stepped before the little pond above wich the branches of the tree of the universe grew. The water shimmered in a soft blue, painting his face in a calm light. He looked so pale and cold.

You wondered if he truly felt as cold as he looked like.

Was he freezing all the time?

Could he feel the warmth of a touch?

Would your hand freeze when you touched his body?

Your hand was twitching, the urge to reach out and stroke his chest overcame you. But you forced yourself back and leaned on the pond instead, your back turned towards Kratos.

With big eyes you looked at the shimmering water. It vibrated with magic. Little sparks of magic rose into the air and bursted.

As the glitter touched your skin, it caused a warm tingle. The magic rushed through your veins like blood.

The feeling of power retuned. For a moment, you thought that your old self had returned.

But as you spread your fingers and wanted to order the magic inside of you to obey, the feeling faded. All that was left was a hollow place inside of your chest.

It felt like a hole that could not be filled.

Not ever.

With a saddened expression on your face you pulled your hand back and grabbed it with the other to squeeze it. The feeling brought back the clear thinking, but the pain of failure remained.

Kratos had noticed your behaviour. His eyes wandered over your body, his lips pressed tightly together. He was still mad, it was clearly visible. But there was something else in his eyes now.

What was that?

His hand twitched, he brushed your hand with it. His skin felt cold, but the touch was as warm as a summer breeze. It almost felt like there was a fire burning below his skin.
The feeling made you smile softly.

"I cherish the softness below the anger inside of you.", you whispered and looked up to him.

He hummed, but his mouth moved upwards, forming a slim smile.

"I do not trust you, healer. But I want to give you the chance that I never had.", he looked down on you.

It was strange.

He was so huge. Next to him you felt so small and helpless. It awoke the wish in you to press yourself against his chest and be protected by the sheer size of his body.

How would he feel below you?

Was he soft when his mind was trapped in the world of dreams?

Your hand twitched and reached out.

Without thinking, you touched his chest and stroked over the soft skin of his. The way he was build made your body shiver.

You closed your eyes, a soft gasp left your lips.

Carefully, you let your forehead fall against his chest.

He didn't move, nor did he pull away. All he did was stand there and watch. His chest rose and fell gently.

He let out a sharp breath.

"Keep your distance, healer.", he said in his deep voice.

But he didn't push you away.

Again, a sigh left your lips.

Why did he feel so familiar?

This feeling of loneliness that had been growing inside your chest over the years faded. Suddenly, you felt at ease. He made you feel at ease.

As if he was protecting you from the troubles of this world and all the curses that were haunting you.

"Forgive me.", you whispered against his chest and rubbed your cheek on his skin. "Let me have this moment of weakness. Please."

A hum left his lips. It made his chest vibrate.

His arms remained unmoved at his sides, he wasn't moving at all. But somehow you could tell that he was not bothered by the closeness between the two of you.

Maybe, just maybe, he was even enjoying it. After all the time he had spent without his wife he surely must have missed someone being close to him.

Taking in a deep breath, you leaned your head back and looked him in the eyes.

He looked calm, but not bothered. The colour of his eyes had changed, it seemed to be liquid gold. The shimmer was strange, calm yet restless.

"Kratos.", his name tasted sour on your tongue.

Questioning, he looked at you.

"There is a thing I need to settle before we can fulfil our contract. It won't be long, I promise."

He raised an eyebrow. His beard moved as his lips curled and formed an unsure expression.

"Where would you want to go? This temple has nothing to offer to you.", his voice was filled with caution.

You smiled softly, not able to form an honest smile.

"Freya once was my friend. She knows a lot about me, things that... I forgot a long time ago. Today, she told me things that I thought were impossible. I need to know what she meant. I need to understand why she said what she said. I need to find my true nature."

For a long moment, Kratos stared at you.

Suddenly, Atreus jumped onto his shoulder. It was so sudden, you almost stumbled back.

"Father and I are coming with you, (Y/N)!", he said in his childish manner.

You smiled.

"I fear that won't be possible.", you patted his head.

"And I fear I don't trust you enough to let you go alone.", Kratos eyed you. "We will come with you."