Chapter 7: Rocky Pasts

__

"I got the message loud and clear."

__

Your eyes widened at Dumbledore's question. You weren't exactly sure what he was asking, but you had a feeling it was something that he was totally wrong about. Severus cheeks were dusted pink with a blush, his eyes narrowing just a touch as he stared at Albus.

"There's nothing going on between us," Severus said, "Nothing that you're implying anyway."

Dumbledore looked between the two of you, back and forth like he was trying to read your expressions. You were rather mortified that Dumbledore thought that of you.

"We're just colleagues...sometimes acquaintances on a good day," You alerted him, being firm that you and Severus were not an item, "We're perfectly capable of tolerating one another."

You made sure to put emphasis on the word that Severus has previously used so loosely. You just couldn't understand how he could be so kind sometimes, and downright nasty other times.

"You don't have to say it like that." Severus gruffed.

"I'm saying it the way that you said it." You remarked.

"I did not say it like that." He argued.

"Yes, you did! Why are you being so difficult?" You hissed.

Dumbledore sighed in exasperation, resting his head in his hand as he listened to the two of you fight back and forth once again.

"I'm not being difficult. You're being the difficult one." Severus said with a reddened face.

"Why does everything have to be an argument with you?" You questioned.

"You started it." Severus snapped.

Dumbledore sat up from his slouched position. He had heard enough.

"Stop. Both of you," He rumbled, "I understand that the two of you have a rather rocky past. I remember it good and well. But for the sake of the students...and everyone else, you two have to start working together."

You fought the urge to roll your eyes, but Severus didn't hold back. You were too angry to even look at him, your arms folded over your chest in visible annoyance.

"Severus, [Y/N] has tried to be pleasant to you. You cannot keep treating her as if she hasn't," Dumbledore addressed, then shifting his gaze to you, "[Y/N], Severus isn't as outgoing as you are. He doesn't quite connect with people that well."

Severus threw his hand up in an irritated motion, his face morphing into an expression that read "what the fuck does that mean?". Dumbledore ignored his reaction and went on.

"I know that the two of you have more in common than you realize. I wouldn't have appointed [Y/N] if I didn't think the two of you could work things out." Dumbledore claimed.

You and Severus shared a glance, but for once it wasn't a spiteful look. Your expressions matched puzzlement and confusion. Simultaneously, you and Severus shared the same thought. This whole back and forth hating each other encounter had been silly. There was no reason that the two of you shouldn't be able to have a professional relationship, even with everything that had happened.

But Severus wasn't going to give up that easily.

"I think the only thing that Professor [L/N] and I have in common is that we were involved with the same people," He snarked, "The only difference was that she's snogging the one that I was constantly being terrorized by."