Chapter 27: Letter of Fate

"I...I need to get this sent."

It was much more difficult than you had anticipated to return to Hogwarts after having such a blissful holiday break. It was the perfect way to recharge to finish out the school year, as well as spend some much needed one on one time with Severus.

It was been a very memorable Christmas, and one that you were sure you'd cherish forever.

You were sitting at your desk, scribbling away at your blank January section of your calendar to make your schedule accordingly. It was the first of the year, and you had a feeling that this year was going to be a busy one.

You were a little bummed about being back at school so soon, so you were laying low and staying in your office to catch up and get back into your usual routine.

The kids, though, were much more excited to return to school. They were excited to return to their usual shenanigans, but no one was more stoked than the infamous Weasley twins.

"Professor [L/N]!" George called.

"Hello, Professor!" Fred added.

The two lanky teens came bopping into your office, not even bothering to knock before entering. It was only the second day back from Christmas break, and evidently they had become a little stir crazy from staying at Hogwarts.

"Hi, boys." You greeted with a grin, but not looking up from your calendar.

It wasn't at all uncommon for Fred and George to come barreling in at any given moment. They found you interesting and fun to be around, so they often went out of their way to speak with you.

"Have a nice break?" Fred questioned, standing tall next to George.

You were probably one of the only professors who could easily tell the two apart. Even Minerva struggled to tell George from Fred. You had mastered it though. It was all in their noses.

"I did. How about you two? Stirring up trouble around here, I suppose?" You asked, glancing up briefly at them.

They snickered, giving each other their usual sneers.

"Oh, yeah. Spent the whole break running from Filch and blaming 'accidents' on other people." George answered.

"Not so sure he believed us." Fred continued.

The three of you laughed, until George's eyes bugged out of his head and spotted something new.

"Aye, Fred! Look at the size of that beauty!" George exclaimed, smacking his brother's shoulder to get his attention.

Fred's expression matched George's, their eyes gawking at the ring on your finger.

"That's quite a ring there, Professor. I would say you had a really good Christmas." Fred laughed, him and George's faces full of mischief.

You fiddled with the onyx ring, remembering when Severus put it on your hand lovingly. You remembered all the things he had said to you and all the moments you had shared together.

"It was a gift." You said simply, hoping the heat in your cheeks wasn't obvious.

"Quite some gift, yeah? It seems very specific." Fred announced, glancing at George to go on.

"I think I know the type of person who would like something similar to that," George choked down a laugh, "Professor Snape, for example."

You chuckled in amusement, not surprised that the twins were on to you. It was hard to sneak anything past them.

"Yeah, yeah. Very funny, boys," You said, standing to make an attempt to usher them out, "I appreciate the visit as always, but I'm a bit busy here."