Chapter No.30. First Light.

Back home, the Steris family settled down to a normal suburban life, but for them it wasn't normal. Janet returned to her nine to five job at the credit union, James had gone back to being a high school student, and Robert stayed at home to do the chores.

That evening, when Janet and James had returned home, it was time to discuss their situation at the family supper of spaghetti and meatballs.

"Did you catch all the hoopla about our performance in Madrid?" Janet asked her husband.

"Yeah, it sure did cause a stir."

"Ha!" James blurted. "It's the main thing on the internet,"

"I think your idea of us wearing masks is a good idea," Janet said. "The last thing we want is to be recognized."

"Maybe the fact that we're basically common people, not rich or famous, might help to keep us from being recognized," Robert said.

"What about the people who do know who we are?" Janet said.

"I don't think they'll reveal us. The FBI needs us to help them solve difficult crimes and NASA relies on us to bail them out of difficult situations."

"They forgot how you saved the world from a nuclear holocaust," James said.

"Does this mean that the experiment has ended?" Janet asked.

"That's a good question," Robert said. "It's obvious that we've passed the test but is there a more difficult problem ahead?"

"Maybe the experiment has shown that people with God like powers must end up as Marvel or DC comic superheroes in order to be viable in a world that is screwed up as much as ours," James said.

Robert smiled. "You might be right. We really don't know. We're playing this by ear."

The next day, Janet arrived at the credit union office at her usual 8:00 PM so that she could get things under control before she opened at 9:00.

Sally, the head teller, arrived ten minutes later, followed by Marylin. Janet noted that Marylin wasn't behaving normally. She kept holding her hand to her forehead and sighing. Suddenly, she fell to the floor. Janet rushed to her and held her hand on the passed-out woman's forehead. What she sensed made her cringe. Marylin had a blocked artery in her brain, essentially a stroke. Janet made the blockage disappear, allowing blood to flow into her brain correctly. She also repaired parts of the woman's brain that had been damaged.

Marylin's eyes blinked, and she looked up at her savior. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened."

Janet helped her stand. "You just suffered syncope, a common problem."

"She should see a doctor," Sally said. "Maybe it's something serious."

"I feel fine," Marylin exclaimed. "I'll be okay."

Janet knew that she would, but no one would ever know that she had performed a miracle.

James was in swimming class that day and while practicing his diving techniques, he saw someone lying in the pool's deep end. He immediately dived down and pulled him up to the surface, but it was obvious that the boy had drowned. He went to work pumping the water out of his lungs and then used his powers to resurrect him.

A crowd had gathered to watch, including Mr. Norton, the instructor, who just happened to be the football team coach.

Jeremy awakened and sat up. He looked around at the crowd that had gathered. "What happened?"