Chapter 15

200 Years Ago

Third-Person POV

The sky was dark with clouds obscuring the sun and a smell of smoke and burnt flesh permeated throughout the air. 

An artillery shell landed right in front of a HAAFAV (Human Alliance Armored Fast Attack Vehicle) as it rolled forward, throwing it backwards by a few feet but it managed to right itself and continue moving forward on its wheels, firing its heavy gun at the defending Exo army.

The rest of the Human Alliance forces were surrounding the Exo factory as it continued to churn out new Exo units.

Legions of Exo soldiers fired rounds of devastating exo rifles into the approaching lines while their artillery fired massive amounts of destructive shells and concentrated energy shells. 

Aircraft fought in the sky as both side's bombers and fighter aircraft attempted to attack the opposing side's forces. 

LFAA's (Low Flying Armored Airship) rose into the air from the Exo factory's roof and fired large Exo cannons.

The Human Alliance countered with a massive grid of directed-energy weapons that exploded most of the artillery shells and missiles while targeting the Exo aircraft. They then launched their own artillery bombardment as they unleashed a wave of shells. A fourth of these managed to make it and devastate the Exo lines.

Exo rifles and other powerful handheld rifles fired waves of devastating projectiles and energy.

"Urgh. The Exo resistance here is way more than we thought, sir!!" A captain said from the front lines. "We might need to rethink our strategy, colonel!!"

"Blasted weather!! If it weren't for that massive lightning storm we wouldn't be in this condition right now!!" The colonel shouted and slammed her fist on the table. "We have no choice to press the attack. They're too heavily defended so only an all-out attack could win this battle."

"VIRUS BOMB!!!" A soldier yelled.

"Everyone put on your masks!!" The colonel yelled.

A LFAA managed to crash into the front lines of the Human Alliance and its massive cargo of virus bombs exploded, unleashing an invisible wave of tiny capsules that floated in the wind towards the humans. 

Some of the unfortunate ones found themselves coughing violently before their insides turned to mush and their skin rotted. 

Most managed to put on their masks in time but still some got infected. 

"Ma'am. Most of the enemy air forces is down. Do we initiate the bombing run?" A pilot asked.

"Yes. Do it." The colonel said before widening her eyes as a stray missile hit her location. 

Present

An airship went close to the destroyed factory, its engines thrusting it forward. 

The crew on board took a good look at the facility.

"It doesn't look active to me." One of the crewmates said.

"Hmmm...let's take a closer look." The captain said and the airship moved closer.

"Doesn't seem like anything is out of the ordinary, sir." A crewmate said nervously.

"Hmmmm...." The captain said.

"Hey. Relax. That factory has been destroyed for centuries. Surely it's not act-" Another crewmate said before a barrage of energy blasts came out of the factory and slammed into the airship damaging its engines.