Thirteen: Alina Starkov

Thirteen

Alina Starkov

The two of them were in a private room at the restaurant. Alina had never seen anything like this, even in her time spent at boarding school. Nikolai had sometimes taken them out for VIP service at the club but even that involved people coming and going from the room. As she sat down in her chair, she said, "Is this the part where you kill me?"

Lord Morozova sat in his chair across from her. "No. This isn't the part where I kill you. As I said, I don't intend to kill you. I intend to keep you alive. I intend to fill you with my heir, and then we are going to create a dynasty of our own strong enough to rival the Lantsovs. The Morozova's have been around nearly as long, and anything would be better than the half-wit King that we have on the throne."

"That's your plan?" Alina said. "You want to be King of Ravka?"

"Better me than Nikolai," said Lord Morozova, "if the truth about the boy is released, the royals won't stop until they drag him from the castle, through the streets, and they kill him. Besides, I have grand plans for Ravka. And I've served it longer than the whelp too."

Alina scowled. "He's not a whelp. He's done his time in the military. He served in the Navy, honorably, and he's led soldiers into battle. He had to stop when Vasily died in that accident, but he would be a good King if he were put in power."

"Nikolai's heritage is a liability. A king with a liability puts his country at risk. That means that he is not a good King."

"You're telling me that every King in existence has never had a liability?" Alina challenged.

"No," Lord Morozova said, "but the good ones are smart about it. If I can't be King yet, I can, at the very least keep the future one from making any mistakes by taking away anything or anyone that makes them weak."

Alina's jaw tensed. "How romantic to be told that I am first a liability and second a mistake. You're absolutely right about seducing me. I'm practically quivering with anticipation. Nothing says, 'take me I'm yours' like insults."

"You'd be surprised," said Lord Morozova, "some consider arguing a love language. Are you certain you aren't hot and bothered?"

The door opened, and a waiter came in pushing a tray full of food. Alina realized they hadn't even ordered.

"I didn't know what you liked," said Lord Morozova, "I ordered everything on the menu."

"Oh yes, how romantic. Wasting food in the name of true love."

"The remains of it will go to the orphanage that I run."

Alina paused, watching as the servers placed the first course on the table in front of them. "You run an orphanage?"

"Yes," he said, "it was my mother's pet project, but since she's been declining---"

"She didn't seem to be declining when she was forcing me into weaponized clothing," Alina said.

He smirked and took a bite of the steak that had been placed in front of him. "Mother is old, but she still has her moments. She forgets things. Makes things up."

"Like what?"

"Oh, she thinks that I killed my brothers and my father," he said, "even though they all died in accidents when they were serving in the war. Accidents that had nothing to do with me. I'm certain she'll spin that tale to you as soon as the two of you have a moment alone."

There had been wine poured, and Alina hadn't even noticed until she realized that until she went to take a sip of it. She spat it out. "Are you trying to get me liquored up?" she demanded, glaring at him.

"No," said Lord Morozova, "but you are eighteen. You're old enough."

She stared at the wine glass. "I've never actually had any before...."

"Not once?" he said. "I would have thought that being the Princes friend would have meant all sorts of debauchery."

"Usually, I was the one getting them out of it," she said, "I suspect that's the main reason Nikolai kept me around. I could walk in a straight line most of the time and bribe the stad watch if it were needed."

"Interesting," said Lord Morozova, "well, you're of age. You are an engaged woman. Have a sip."

"Well," she said, "maybe just a sip...."

Alina took a sip of the wine. It was sweet and bitter all at once.

"You might like the orphanage," said Lord Morozova, "if you wanted, I could arrange for us to take a trip there."

She squinted at him. She was certain this was part of his plan to seduce her and make her his forever. But she was curious to see what an orphanage ran by the most sinister man in all of Ravka looked like. "Alright," she said, "I would like that."

He smiled. "Good. I look forward to that."

"Me, too," she said.

"Have you had any of the strawberries?" he said.

"There's strawberries?" she said. "I didn't even notice that. Of course, there's a whole feast here."

"I didn't know what you liked," he admitted, "Or if you had allergies or...."

She let out a laugh. A genuine one. "So, you ordered everything?"

He nodded. "I ordered everything."

"That's actually sweet," she said, "a little like the wine...."

"Like the wine?"

"Sweet and bitter," she said, "it seems to be what you are. Of course, it doesn't mean I'm going to fall in love with you."

"Of course not," he said with a smile.