Sixty-six: Aleksander Morozova

Sixty-six:

Aleksander Morozova

It was a strange feeling, watching his own body being burned. Except it wasn't his body. It was The Darkling. He was no longer part of him. He was Aleksander Morozova, and his past was finally gone. Now, he had his future to look forward to. His wife, his child....

"It's a girl," he said, as he wrapped his arms around Alina's stomach and rested his head on her shoulder. She was staring at the same thing that he was. The Darkling's burning body in front of him. She looked up at him.

"How can you be so sure?" she asked.

"I just am," he said.

"What if it's a boy?" she asked. "Are you worried about him being like you?"

He heaved a sigh. "Maybe a little. But I still think it's a girl, and I think she's going to be exactly like her mother, strong and brave."

Alina smiled faintly. "I don't know how strong I was. I couldn't even escape him, and if you hadn't shown up----I was so scared about what would happen with the baby, I would have been forced to stay at least until the baby arrived."

Aleksander kissed her on top of her head. "There are different kinds of strength, I'm learning. Strength doesn't always involve a crown or a weapon. Sometimes, it's the ability to endure. You endure, Alina, through whatever comes our way. Which is why I am quite certain that our family is going to be just fine."

Alina frowned, and turned around to face him. "Why are you talking like you're dying?"

He sighed and reached out to stroke her face. "I'm okay now, but we don't know what's going to happen when we go back to our time. The Darkling is dead, and he only existed because of remains of The Fold. In our time, The Fold is weak. It's The Darkling's heart, and I suspect when we go back it won't even be there. You might have to go on without me, but if that happens, I want you to know---"

Alina shook her head. "Aleks, you're going to stop that right now. We're going to get to The Little Palace in Os Alta, and we're going to go back to our own time period. Then, everything is going to be fine, and you are going to---well---" she blushed.

He raised an eyebrow. "What is it, my Little Wife?" he asked, enjoying her red cheeks and the nervous look on her face.

"Then," she said, "you are going to make love to me, we are going to raise our child together, and we're going to live happily, ever after."

He pressed his forehead against hers. "I do rather like the sound of that," he said, "I think that we could make use of the Captains Quarters if we really wanted to."

Alina coughed. "I don't think that's going to be possible."

He frowned. "Why? Surely the brat Prince isn't so arrogant he'd hog it to himself."

"No," she said, "I don't think it's possible because I think it's occupied. By Nikolai and Zoya."

"How do you know?" he asked.

"I heard them when I went to return the letter opener that I was using as a weapon. I've decided I'm keeping it because of the trauma that my ears have endured from hearing the two of them---"

Aleksander winced. "Never mind," he said, "we'll wait until we get home."

Alina nodded. "Probably for the best."

He smiled. "Too bad you're already pregnant. We could try again for another one."

Alina reached out and she laced her fingers in with his. "Well, we've got a whole lifetime to try. Nothing but sunshine and blue skies."

"Yes," he said, "nothing but sunshine, and blue skies. I am looking forward to all of it."

"And you're not...."

"What?" he asked.

"You're not worried about the power?" she asked.

"I'm not worried about the power," he said, "you and my child make me feel powerful, and I want to work on making the world perfect for the two of us. Not only for us, but for all grisha. I want to make it so we don't have to be ashamed of our pasts anymore, so that no one has to hide who they are."

"I think that's a lovely idea," said Alina, "we'll create a world where everyone can shine, and let their true selves be seen."

Alina stood on her tip toes, she cupped his face in her hands, and she kissed him deeply. He kissed her back, enjoying the feel of her pressed against him.

A moan came from his lips. "Alina," he murmured, "I want you. You've no idea how much."

She laughed. "Perhaps we shouldn't be making out in front of the funeral pyre. Bit tacky."

"Oh, that is nothing compared to the things I want to do you," he said, "perhaps we could find a secluded corner and a wall...."

He nuzzled her neck, making her laugh again. "Aleks."

"Fine, fine," he said, "I'll wait until we get home. I've no idea why they're constantly calling you a Saint. I'm the Saint for not tempting you to ruination in the middle of the ship floor."

"We'll get a church made in your honor when we get home," Alina said with a smirk, "with a statue."

"One hundred feet tall?"

"One hundred feet tall, you rogue," she said, kissing him again, "Aleks..."

"What?" he said with a scowl.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too," he replied.