Sixty-seven: Aleksander Morozova

Sixty-seven:

Aleksander Morozova

When they got back to Os Alta, Aleksander and Alina had lost track of how long it had been. Alina was starting to show. The grandfather clock that had been built with the magic tree, watered from the river with the god that controlled time, was kept in David's workshop. Alina had taken to resting her hand on the small bump that was their child in her stomach and every time she did, Aleksander found himself looking over at her.

"Will you stop?" Alina demanded.

Aleksander smiled. "I can't help it. You look radiant pregnant, and I like knowing our little Sun Ray is in there."

"Sun Ray?" Alina tilted her head to the side. "Not Sun Beam?"

He shook his head. "No, you are the Sun Beam. This one here is a Sun Ray."

"That doesn't sound quite right," said Alina, "what about Sun Spot?"

"Sun Spot," he said, "oh, that's actually quite cute."

"This is adorable," said Nikolai from behind them.

"This is sickening," said Zoya.

"You mean you don't want a sunspot of your own?" Nikolai said.

"I'm not talking about the child, I'm talking about the displays of affection," said Zoya, not noticing that Nikolai had been about to place his arm around her shoulders then quickly. Aleksander smirked, shooting Nikolai a look of amusement, and Nikolai shot him a scowl.

"You wait, Nazyalensky. You'll find someone that will bring you to your knees, and then you won't get so hung up on the displays of affection."

Zoya laughed. "People don't bring me to their knees. I do."

"Well," said Aleksander, "I hope that you find someone who enjoys kneeling, then."

"I think I liked you better when you were filled with murderous rage," Zoya said with a roll of her eyes, "Alina, good luck to you."

"You too, Zoya," Alina gave her a small wave, and Zoya left.

Nikolai was still there with them, as was David. "This is where we part," said Nikolai, "Alina, always a pleasure."

He took her hand before Aleksander could stop him and kissed it, grinning roguishly. Then he looked back at Aleksander. "Morozova, if you hurt her, I'll hear it echo through time and I promise I'll kill you."

Alina stepped forward. "Threaten my husband again, Nikolai, and I'll kill you simply because you're annoying."

He smirked. "Touche, Sankta Alina. Touche. I wish you...well....I wish you the sun and stars, Miss Starkov. Every happiness. In every time."

Alina smiled. "Thank you, Nikolai."

"Anytime."

"Did you keep the cloak?" Aleksander asked.

Nikolai winked. "Of course. I told you that I do love making a statement, after all, and it does at least do that."

"Well, just as long as you don't keep any of the old ideas that come with it."

"Never," he said, then he bowed, and swept from the room.

When he was gone, it was only Aleksander, Alina, and David.

David turned to them. "Once you go through, you must destroy your clock. Baghra's kept it in her home. It's a duplicate of this one."

"David," said Aleksander, "I know that The Darkling encouraged your genius----"

David shook his head. "The Darkling wasn't the only one who used people, you know. How do you think Genya eventually got away from the Queen? I was the one that suggested that he use her as a spy for Alina. Of course.... I didn't mean for things to end up the way they did. I know that she tried to kill you."

Aleksander shook his head. "It's fine. But....is this going to be an issue? When I get back? Is the Genya in my time going to try to kill me?"

"I don't think so," said David, "when you mess with time travel, you see memories of your past lives. To make sure the clock work, Nikolai and I had to do some experimental test runs. To the future and to the past to make certain that it would work. I checked on Genya in your time. Aside from being Alina's friend, she hasn't had any interactions with you. I think you should be able to go home just fine."

"Good," said Aleksander, "I'd prefer not to be getting stabbed again for my past mistakes. Alina, you're going through first."

Alina frowned. "Why should I go through first? I'm not going unless you're going, Aleks."

"But we don't know if my timeline is stable," said Aleksander, "you haven't just recently killed one of your past lives."

Alina shook her head. "Aleks, we're going through that clock together, or not at all."

He scowled. "Alina, must you be so stubborn?"

She jutted out her chin. "I've had to learn to deal with you."

He ran his hands through his dark hair, and saw Alina nervously place her hands on her stomach. On their little Sun Spot. "Alright," he said, "together, or not at all."

She nodded firmly, then held out her hand. David walked towards the big, black grandfather clock that was an exact replica of the one in the Morozova household.

"Just think of home," said David, "and it will take you there. Make sure you're thinking of the same place."

He opened the clocks center, large enough for people to step through. Alina dragged him with her, they were swallowed by a bright light, and then...

"Welcome home," his mothers voice said, "I see you survived your past. There are not many people that can say that. Congratulations, my son."

Aleksander smiled over at Baghra, then dropped his wife's hand just long enough that he could wrap his mother in a hug, pick her up, and twirl her around the room. Baghra let out a laugh, and whomped him on the back with her fists.

"Let me down, you fool child, or have you forgotten I am old?"

"Not at all mother," he said affectionately, then placed her gently on the ground.

She rolled her eyes and huffed. "Fool boy."

"Shrew woman," he replied with a smile, and then he glanced at Alina, "come on, my Little Wife. We've lots of practicing to do."

"For what?" Alina asked.

He smirked. "Our next child."

He walked over to her, took her hand, and the two of them ran up the stairs laughing like children to their bedroom.