lemon ice cream (fluff)

1940s

You tapped your feet against the linoleum floor to the beat of the record that was spinning in the jukebox. You wiped down the counter, cleaning off any stickiness from spilled ice cream. You watched a group of children eat their ice cream cones on the pavement outside, a smile on your face.

You loved your job, working and running the ice cream parlor in Brooklyn. You loved making children happy, adults too. It was bright, cheerful, and there was always music playing. It was right in the middle of the bustling city that you adored, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

You were humming to the music, your yellow dress spinning as you turned at the sound of the bells chiming on the door. You turned to see two men, both startlingly attractive.

"Welcome," you greeted them with a smile. They grinned back at you, both wearing army uniforms. One was tall and blond with a beard, and the other was shorter with stunning silver eyes that caught your gaze. You blushed slightly, leaning forward against the counter.

"What can I get for you, boys?" You asked, snapping out of your thoughts.

"Vanilla, for me. Bucky?" The blond turned to his friend.

"What do you recommend?" He asked you in a smooth voice, and you pulled your bottom lip between your teeth.

"I'm a fan of lemon, myself."

"Lemon it is then... Please!" He corrected himself quickly, and his friend looked amused. You giggled, pushing off the counter and opening the freezer, scooping it for them.

You stood on your toes and handed the blond's vanilla over the top of the glass before leaning back down to get the lemon. Your fingers brushed Bucky's as you handed him the ice cream, making your cheeks warm. His eyes were kind as he watched you.

"Oh, no, it's on the house." You stopped the blond as he went to pull a wallet from his pocket.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Of course, soldier," you spoke, winking at him.

"Thanks, doll." Bucky nodded at you, and you grinned.

"Certainly."

"I didn't catch your name?" He hesitated before going to sit.

"Y/N."

"I'm James Barnes, but everyone calls me Bucky. This is Steve," Bucky introduced the two.

"Lovely to meet you both."

You and Bucky looked at each other for several more seconds before Steve called him over to a booth in the corner. You watched them as you worked, stealing glances at Bucky every chance you got.

A group of teenagers ran in off the street, loud and boisterous. You grinned, recognizing most of them as your frequent customers from the high school down the street.

"Oi, Y/N's always remembering our favorites! Thanks, beautiful!" One of the seniors thanked you dramatically as you handed him chocolate, making you laugh. You remembered all their orders, putting an extra cherry on the sunday of a girl who you favored for her sweetness and tendency to tip extra.

"Thank you, ma'am!" They all called before running to get home before their parents and have a drink. You waved, leaning on your elbows against the counter.

Bucky and Steve stayed after they finished, talking quietly. You went into the back to grab something, and Bucky was at the counter when you returned.

"Did you want more?"

"Another time. Thanks for the ice cream, Y/N." He said goodbye, and Steve tipped his hat at you, making you giggle. You watched them go, though they stayed in your thoughts long after their departure.