lover of mine (fluff/angst)

"You loved him once. You can love him again."

"I never stopped loving him. That's what you don't understand."

The fellow Avengers had watched the world fall from your eyes, the joy draining from you with every headline that involved Bucky. Not only had he changed, but you had too. You became completely enthralled with your missions, pouring every waking second into the Avengers. Because if you thought about anything else, you would break.

Steve begged you to take breaks, begged you to take time off. You insisted you were fine, never wanting to be left alone with your thoughts. You didn't want to think about the newsreels of Bucky– the winter soldier– wielding machine guns.

You couldn't bear to see the love of your life slaughtering people.

"I'm not picking up Parker from school... He's in high school, he doesn't need me to pick him up! He can take the subway! Or use his webs!" You snapped at Stark, who stared at you impatiently.

"You need to rest. This is how you're filling your afternoon." Stark was insistent, and you shook your head, grabbing the keys to a Tesla.

"Steve?"

"Go, Y/N."

You sighed and went down to the garage, driving uptown to get the teenager from school. You parked outside of the high school, leaning against the hood of your car while you waited.

You never got used to the modernity. You were like Steve and Bucky. You'd been alive in the 40s, and frozen like they were. Luckily, you'd fallen to S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of Hydra. You'd managed to stay safe with Steve, and become an Avenger, not suffering Bucky's fate.

Before the war, you and Bucky had been married. The memories in your mind of dancing in the kitchen, jazz bars, drive-ins, and reading the Hobbit when it came out, were all raw. Before he was deployed, there was a wedding.

You'd been surrounded by flowers and your friends, celebrating the love of your life. Steve was the best man. You'd left the ceremony with Bucky in his yellow vintage car, going to the coast for your honeymoon.

You remembered the beach house, and running in the sand with your young husband. It was perfect back then, before Hydra got their hands on him. He was loving and gentle, the kind of man who danced with you in the kitchen and brought you flowers.

You remembered when he'd gone off to war. You wore his dog tags, and hung a flag in your window. You'd kissed him goodbye, tears blinding you as you tried to focus on the silver eyes that were full of adoration and love. You remembered when Steve came back, and Bucky didn't.

There were so many memories of crying in Steve's arms, and falling asleep with him beside you. Even when you'd moved to Stark Tower with him, even after becoming an avenger decades later, you still slept beside him. He'd listened to you sob for Bucky a million times; Steve had witnessed a lifetime of your heartbreak.

You remembered waking up from being frozen, and finding out who James Buchanan Barnes had become.

"Y/N?!" Parker's cheerful voice snapped you out of your thoughts as he came bounding down the stairs of the high school.

"Hey kiddo. Stark sent me to get you." You stood up off the car and hugged him. He waved goodbye to his friends and got in the passenger seat. He immediately started chattering, and you welcomed it, appreciating the distraction from the deafening silence. That was why you were fond of Parker, he was easy to be around, and he was always happy to fill the silence.

"Let's go to Starbucks!" He announced as the two of you drove back to the tower.

"Are you joking?"