scientist (fluff/smut)

"Y/N, this is Bucky," Steve introduced you to the Winter Soldier. He eyed you warily, silver eyes untrusting. His body was full of tension, and his jaw tightened with uncertainty.

"Hi, Bucky. I'm going to try to help you, okay?" You smiled sweetly, and he glanced at Steve who gave him a reassuring nod.

Bucky had recently arrived at Stark Tower, traumatized and shaken up after being rescued from Hydra. He was safe with immunity, and brought to the tower for recovery. He was quiet and anxious, barely speaking to anyone except for Steve.

You had been asked to run tests on Bucky and help him adjust, as well as being the one responsible for his injured body. Steve knew you would be the most gentle, and he trusted you with his life, and was willing to trust you with Bucky, even in his own absence.

"Steve," Bucky's voice broke when Steve went to the door. He bit the inside of his lip, not wanting his only friend to abandon him. Anxiety welled up inside of Bucky, and a pang of guilt shot through Steve.

"I have a mission, but you're safe with Y/N. She'll be gentle," Steve promised, and Bucky's entire body tensed up when Steve disappeared down the hallway.

You and Bucky were left alone in the lab, and you smiled gently. His eyes were sharp, and he watched your every move as if you were a threat. You quietly moved things around, preparing for an exam.

"You don't need to be nervous. I only want to help you, okay?" You asked, and he didn't answer. You didn't mind, you were patient, and you knew that you couldn't rush him into trusting you.

"Can you take your shirt off for me, please? I just want to get a look, I understand that you're wounded."

Bucky hesitated before slowly peeling off the loose black t-shirt he wore. Red, angry scars littered the skin that his prosthetic was attached to. You winced, imagining it must have been painful. You took time examining his body, figuring out how to best help him. Getting the poor soldier out of pain and more comfortable was your first priority.

"Does it hurt?"

He nodded silently, and you frowned.

"Will you let me touch you? I'll be gentle," he didn't respond, and you took a step toward him. He was sitting on the edge of the exam table, and you carefully lowered it with your foot so you were at eye-level. He flinched as you lightly touched the metal of his arm. He instantly grabbed your wrist when your fingertips touched the damaged skin.

"It's okay!" you gasped out, startled by the tight grip.

"You said it hurts, right? I'm going to give you some numbing gel." You held up the small container in your other hand.

"It'll take the edge off, I promise, Bucky."

He released his grip on your wrist, and you dipped your fingers into the gel and carefully spread it over his wounds. He relaxed slightly under the relief, and you got him to lay down for x-rays.

"Do you sleep?"

Bucky shook his head, and you went to your box, searching for a sedative. You couldn't begin to imagine what Bucky had been through. You'd seen videos on the news, but despite his history of violence, you felt safe around him, and wanted him to trust you.

"I'll give Steve something to give to you to help you sleep, but just for a while until you adjust, okay?" You didn't want to give it to Bucky, unsure of whether or not he was stable enough to handle his own medication. He'd given you nothing, only silence.

"I've been working here with the avengers for several years now. It'll get less intimidating, I promise," you casually filled the silence. When you had arrived, you were hesitant and wary like Bucky. You didn't trust the other soldiers, and you didn't even have a best friend looking out for you at the tower. You'd transferred from S.H.I.E.L.D., coming off of training with Fitz and Simmons, to an unfamiliar home with unfamiliar faces. Steve had been the one to welcome you, and had helped you adjust to Stark Tower.