Chapter 9

Ever since Brooklyn's escape, Demona wanted him back. She had just been biding her time. She wasn't going to let him go entirely so easily. He had what she needed. She was the mother. She wasn't going to be denied motherhood again. She had to plan carefully to get Brooklyn back soon. Demona planned on being there when it was time for her baby to be born.

She might even plan on not letting Dr. Sevarius handle it, but he would be needed to deliver the baby at the end of the pregnancy. She could care less if Brooklyn died during surgery or after. She just needed him alive long enough to give her the child he carried.

Demona would watch night after night for an opportunity to sneak in. She watched with binoculars to know what gargoyles took off on patrol. The clan must have known by now. She never saw Brooklyn take off with them, but he would be on the parapet during the day. It would be easy enough to take him during the day if the right people could be paid to kidnap him.

But she wanted to get Brooklyn personally.

...............

A few nights later, as Demona watched the castle, all the clan took off except for Bronx and Lexington. Brooklyn stayed too, of course. When she did land eyes on him, she looked at his stomach. It had grown swollen. She smiled. So, he was officially pregnant with her child.

Tonight would be a good night. Lexington would be too small to take her on even if he tried. Bronx was bigger, but Demona had ways of dealing with both of them, and the humans too. She was going to get Brooklyn back, tonight!

..............

Lexington was in on his computer, looking up information about pregnancy and baby care. Then he would work on an invention he had been working on.

Bronx was in the nursery with the Xanatos'. He was entertaining baby Alex at the moment. The little boy was learning to talk. Bronx was just like a friendly dog with the human boy.

Brooklyn had been reading when he decided he wanted to go for a walk around the castle, to stretch his legs. He would try to keep himself active as much as possible. His ankles had begun swelling with fluid if he was on his feet too long, but he would still walk. His back had also began hurting too, not used to feeling the extra weight in his middle.

Demona had a loaded tranquilizer gun in her belt should she need it. She knew how to get around the castle undetected. She would find Brooklyn's room if she had to. Instead, she found Lex's room and him in it. She shot Lex with a dart, and it knocked him out cold. He wouldn't wake up for a while. It should give her enough time to get what she wanted. She didn't really want to dart Brooklyn, but she would if she had to. Drugging him could have effects on the baby. She went onward.

Brooklyn almost had a mind to go gliding around the castle. His wings sure could go for it. He had made it to near the TV room when he walked by a tapestry and he didn't hear her, but she spoke to him.

"Hello, Brooklyn."

That voice. It made him freeze in his tracks. That... chilly... voice. He swallowed as he turned to face her. He kept a wing in front of him.

"Demona! How did you get in here, and what do you want?" he demanded.

"You know perfectly well what I want, Brooklyn!" she growled.

Brooklyn felt a chill go down his spine. He put a hand on his stomach. "I'm not going with you! Not after what you did to me!"

"I needed you to not be such an innocent anymore in that department in order to bring an innocent into the world. Surely, you know you are pregnant by now? I see it on you clearly." she declared.