Chapter 20

Over the coming days, Ziana was finding that she liked being around this clan. It was her father's clan, and her mother's ex-clan. She was learning much from them. They even welcomed her to patrol with them.

Ziana also got to meet the Mutates in the sewers, who also had kids by now as well. Three in fact. Two girls and a boy. They were a mix of Talon and Maggie's looks. The Mutates were still an extension of the clan, just living separately.

Even as she liked the new clan, she still loved her mother. She wanted to go back to her. Even if Demona had changed, her mistakes that she had done were always going to lean on her. Ziana would have to live the same way that Angela did, with both parents living separately, wishing they could be a couple. It would never work out that way.

Ziana soon went back to her mother's home. Demona welcomed her back. She had to let her daughter decide her own decisions.

"Mother, I love you and all, but I still want to spend time with my father, clan and siblings." Ziana explained.

"You're growing up and I have to let you do so. I respect your decisions, Ziana. But maybe let's keep it to just a couple days a week. I really need you here to help me out with my business. I also like having company that I haven't had from my old clan. I have cherished and raised you all these years to be at my side, as my one and only clan member. I don't want to lose you. I've told you much about my past and precious secrets. You're still my child." Demona explained.

"I love you too, Mom. I just want to be able to learn some other things from other gargoyles too. I'll always come back, always." Ziana replied, hugging her mom.

"And that's perfectly fine. Just don't get too carried away. I know your father. He might try to keep you from returning to me. But, you need to make him understand to respect your decisions as well."

"He's pretty understanding, Mom." Ziana said. "He just tells me to be careful."

"As do I. Things may have changed for our kind now, but there are still gargoyle haters out there that would love to do us in." Demona declared.

"That's something you don't have to worry about, other than from MacBeth." Ziana stated.

That name startled the ancient female. "I don't want to hear his name, ever!" she snapped.

"Is it true? That the two of you are linked?" Ziana asked.

"Yes, by a magical pact we had avowed long ago. We were once allies, but he betrayed me. We have been enemies ever since. He's the only one that can kill me. I don't want to hear his name again." Demona scolded her daughter.

"Sorry, Mother. It was just something I learned from them." the girl exclaimed.

"Yes, there are many things you can learn from them that I couldn't teach you. There's only so much you can learn from one parent. And everyone has their own style of doing things. I want you to have your own styles, but still take my warnings seriously." Demona warned Ziana.

"I will, Mother." she replied.
..................

Ziana and the clan's bonds kept on growing, though her mom wanted her at home more, so her times with the clan were only a couple times a week.

Brooklyn always showed how much he cared about her. He would hug and kiss her like he did with his other daughter, Gabby. He liked spending one on one time with her while she was there. He only got to see her a couple times a week. At least he had other kids to keep him busy too.

Ziana, Gabrielle, and Tony had all quite a special bond as siblings that were closer in age range.

The younger generation all had their own special bonds. The younger ones admired the older ones and had to be role models for them.

Ziana planned on still living with her mom unless she ever betrayed her too, then she would stay with her dad for life. It was just that she saw that her mom needed companionship too. She never wanted to have a male one. She didn't trust them anymore. She preferred just her and her daughter from now on.

Brooklyn didn't like the idea of his daughter going to Demona's home every time she had to go back, but knew he had no choice. He would always be glad to be there for her though, as fathers should be. Even if he had only known her for such a short while.

The clan had continued to grow and its differences would always need to change and thrive. Life was changed for the better between Demona and the clan. By now, she was sorry for what she had done to Brooklyn years ago, but she didn't regret getting a child from him. But she would still never be accepted back into the clan. They would just always have to live separately.

The clan had their lives and Demona had hers, involving her daughter, Ziana. Ziana would always be a link, like Gabrielle, between Brooklyn and Demona.

And even though Gabby had met her birth mother, Brooklyn was not going let her visit her. She was to stay away from her. Tony too.

The clan would continue to grow and thrive now that gargoyles had protected status in the city and elsewhere. They were all wonderful guardians to the city, or wherever gargoyles lived in the world. That was a gargoyle's purpose: to protect.

The End