Chapter 36-Kitty Kitty

Danny

As we turn through the city getting closer to the city limits she gets comfortable in the passenger seat, leaning her head against the pillow that she has propped next to the window.

"Are you excited?" I ask her, reaching over to squeeze her knee. We are finally on the road, heading to Holyhead where we plan to catch our ferry.

The snow is coming down and I can already tell there is going to be a lot of traffic today, but I know she loves long road trips so she's in for a treat with the five to six hours we will have to spend driving there.

"Yeah." she says, but so enthusiastically.

"You don't seem so sure." I say looking over at her as we stop at a light.

"I am!" she says defensively.

"If you don't want to move in with me quite yet, then you don't have to." I tell her, though I really don't mean it.

"No, no, I do." she says, sitting up and turning to face me. "I just..."

I sigh and pull over to the side of the road to talk to her.

"What is it?" I say as I face her.

She avoids my eyes and starts playing with a loose string on the right sleeve to her sweater.

"I've lived here for a long time Danny. I'm gonna miss it."

"You lived in Dublin for a long time and you left there just fine. Same with America."

She sighs, "You're right."

"When am I not?"

She doesn't laugh at this.

Our truck driver pulls up behind us and she sighs.

I roll down the window and tell him we will just be a minute. At least I hope...
She starts to get teary eyed as I turn off the car and unbuckle my seatbelt.

"Danny, let's just go this is really embarrassing." she says turning her head away from me.

"Hey." I say, forcing her to look me in the eye by pulling her chin over in my direction, "I don't want you to be uncomfortable with this. I want you to be happy."

She nods, blushing as a tear falls from her eye. She wipes it away and takes a deep breath.

"So is this what you want? Because if it's not, you need to tell me right now so I can do something about it."

She bites her lip, "Yes."

"Why are you holding back?"

"I'm not."

"You are. I can tell Bryn."

"How?" she says, sounding irritated. I feel guilty for being harsh, but I'm not about to drive her right into something she doesn't want just for her to hurt both of us.

"You bite your lip when you're not sure of something."

She sighs knowingly.

"So what is it." I ask. "Be honest. Do you want to start a life with me?"

She takes a deep breath and looks me right in the eye, "I do. I want to be with you I want to live my life with you. The truth is I'm just..." she chokes up a little. "I'm scared."

I nod ever so slightly, scooting in closer to her and wrapping a comforting arm over her.

"Bryna, look at me." I say. Her big, blue eyes stare at me. "Everyone gets afraid. It's normal. I'm afraid. I'm worried about this...If it's gonna work, what it'll be like. I know that both of our lives are going to change tremendously, and I'm not sure exactly in what ways it will change, but I do believe everything that happens is going to be for the better. And I don't know about you, but I really need that right now."