Chapter 46 - Home Is Where the Heart Is

Danny

I look at the busy street before me as I sit in my sweats and my tee shirt in my wheel chair in the wide doorway of those huge automatic sliding doors hospital lobbies have. The city looks bustling as ever and the street is shaded by the tall building on the other side.

I wait, teeth gritted at the cold, eyes squinting through my glasses at the natural light. It's the first bit of fresh air I've gotten in days.

After a week or so in the hospital it begins to feel like a whole other world out there.

And after two weeks it's unbelievable.

And a month? Don't even get me started.

Bryna was released after a week. Two days after she woke she was allowed to go. She only had minor injuries. It we only her mental health they were worried about. After having a talk with her doctor. And by a talk I mean her yelling at him until he agreed she was fine, she was able to sign herself out.

She had to go through several therapy sessions a day however for him and other professionals to assure she was ok after her continuous meltdowns. They even consulted me.

They concluded that her meltdowns were do to stress over the trauma and the stress of seeing me in pain.

I felt slightly honored but also horrible that I was the cause of her mental breakdown.

She was okay though as soon as she saw that I was, but she stuck around just in case. She even stayed the night most days and took care of me like she was my nurse. I begged her to go home and relax but she refused most of the time.

When Bryna was released they were talking about releasing me in few more days, but then my health quickly declined.

And infection grew in my injured leg and I ended up extremely ill and feverish and was throwing up everywhere.

They said it was a good thing they caught it early otherwise I would have probably needed my leg amputated.

Bryna caught it. She was helping me dress after I showered off a little and noticed the color of my bandage was off. It was soaked in yellow puss.

She saved me if you ask me.

Once my infection healed I thought I was off the hook but I ended up needing surgery. And not just one surgery, multiple.

They kept me for a while after that too to do rehab.

I still wasn't walking and I would have to come back once a day to continue my rehab for the next week and then it would gradually slow to a stop when I was back to normal.

I was glad to at least sleep in my own bed.

And breathe in air that didn't smell like latex gloves and hand sanitizer.

Bryna had taken me out a few times in the past weeks to roam the city, but we had always been with at least one nurse and I typically had to be hooked up to some sort of IV so we couldn't go far.

We went to the park once, and that was nice. We fed the ducks and strolled by the playground to watch the kiddies play. But then after only an hour and a half we had to come back because my IV was out.

I turn my head ever so slightly and see her, all bundled up in her winter parka, scarf wrapped around her neck, mittens on, one of my beanies just about hanging off her head. Her beautiful beautiful hair flows behind her as she bobs her head around while talking to the lady at the front desk.

She laughs and thanks her before turning and heading my way.

She has a huge grin on her face when she sees me smiling over my shoulder at her.

How did I get so lucky. How did I get her back. After all those years of emotions. After all those years of crying on the tour bus. Of wishing I had her in the crowd like Mark had Rina. Of hoping and praying I would get a call from her saying she wanted me back.

After all those years of waiting, I finally had her to myself.

I smiled so wide it hurt as I saw her walking to me. She was here to take care of me. She belonged to me. And I couldn't believe it.

I started to cry. What did I do to deserve this? What did I do to get this beautiful girl back in my life?

"Hey love." she says when she gets over to where I am. She leans over to look at me as she stands behind me her hands on my wheelchair "You ready to go home?"

"So ready." I smile.

"Are you crying?" she asks, leaning over more to get a better look.

"Yes...." I say, blushing.

She pouts her lip and looks genuinely sad, "Awwww love don't cry."

She puts her hand on my shoulder and rubs my back.

"I'm sorry." I sniffle trying to whip away my tears and be strong for her.

"It's ok love, just what's the matter?"

I try my hardest to smile. "It's just........I'm so happy right now."

She laughs slightly and heads to the back of my wheelchair to push me when she sees our cab pull up.

"I know we've been here for a while but this place isn't that awful." she says.

Wow. That's a change in attitude.

"It will be nice to go home though." she says. "I can't wait to make some actual food for dinner!"

I smirk and think to myself Me Too.

Hey guys :( I really really hope some of you are still out there. This is a really short update but I had to finish this story! I feel so bad for leaving you all hanging. This is the end :( I hope you guys enjoyed and also dedication goes to writtenbythescript 5sosrok Luutje22 hope you guys enjoy and are still around!!