Chapter 21-Broke

Bryna

I've been sitting at home watching TV for the past two days.

I haven't been able to sleep; I haven't been able to eat.

All I can think about is how eventually my money is going to run out. Eventually I'm going to be kicked out of my house for not paying the mortgage. Eventually I'm going to be broke and homeless and I can't handle that.

It's around eight-thirty in the evening and I've already had a few glasses of red wine.

I start pacing around the house worrying about my next move when I remember the song Danny wrote me.
I pull it out and read the lyrics.

If you're standing with your suitcase, but you can't step on the train. Everything's the way that you left it. I still haven't slept yet.

I haven't either.

And if you're covering your face now, but you just can't hide the pain. Still setting two plates on the counter but eating without you.

I hope to god he's not doing that.

If the truth is you're a liar, then just say that you're okay. I'm sleeping on your side of the bed, goin' out of my head now.

Or that...

And if you're out there trying to move on, but something pulls you back again.

It's like he's reading my mind.
I can feel the draw. I can feel it pulling me back. It's pulling me.

I'm sitting here trying to persuade you like you're in the same room.

I could see him doing this.

And I wish you could give me the cold shoulder. And I wish you could still give me a hard time. And I wish I could still wish it was over. But even if wishing is a waste of time. Even if I never cross your mind.

You always cross my mind Danny.

I'll leave the door on the latch if you ever come back. There'll be a light in the hall and the key under the mat, if you ever come back. There'll be a smile on my face and the kettle on, and it will be just like you were never gone. There'll be a light in the hall and the key under the mat if you ever come back, if you ever come back now.

Maybe I will...

Now they say I'm wasting my time. 'Cause you're never comin' home. But they used to say the world was flat, but how wrong was that now? And by leavin' my door open, I'm riskin' everything I own. There's nothing I can lose in a break-in that you haven't taken.

Wait to make me feel bad...

I look at the rest of the song and then flip it over to the address of Glen's London house.

"Why not?" I ask myself.

I get dressed up really nice, putting on a dab of perfume, and get in the car.

I sit there for the longest time trying to decide if I should do this or not.
I don't want him getting the wrong idea. I just want to finish what we started the other day.

I start the car and pull away, driving toward his place.

I spend another ten minutes sitting outside of the house I think is the right one.

I finally work up the courage to go to the door and after I knock I wait there for what seems like forever before he opens the door.

"What are you doing here?" he asks when he sees me standing in front of him.