Chapter 43-Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Bryna

Christmas crept up on us sooner than expected.

Danny had been touring with the band and I was home, preparing for the holidays and waiting by the phone for him to call me each evening after his shows. The carolers had been coming and the kids sledding down the hill in the snow.

There where times when I missed him unbearably much. The carolers reminded me of him so I would often not open the door when I heard them coming.

I guess you could say I was being a bit of a bah humbug.

I would walk around the city and to and from my job at a coffee shop that I have for the sole purpose of having something to do. I hid in my oversized military green winter parka with the fur trim on the hood or one of Danny's overcoats, trying desperately to avoid the locals and anyone that knew me. I stayed in the dark as best I could. Then when I'd get home I would make myself some eggs or some soup in my favorite mug, sit on the couch, turn the tv on and kick off my shoes.

I'd watch late night television and maybe have a glass of wine or do some art (I did a lot of art while Dan was gone) until at least midnight when I could call Danny and he, being on an energy high, would talk to me until I fell asleep on the couch my work clothes still on and one of the cats I begged him to let me keep curled up by my head.

It was normally Toulouse or Vader because the girls just aren't snugly. Except for Matilda, occasionally if you have just given her a big bowl of warm milk.

They all kept me company, but I missed Danny and I wanted nothing more than for him to be home.

So when he showed up at the door last night, days earlier than expected, with a bottle of champagne, a bouquet of my favorite flowers, and some fancy food, I was more than thrilled.

I had drifted off to sleep when I heard his knock, soft and welcoming. I woke with excitement like a little kid that thought they heard Santa. The only light in the house was that of the Christmas tree we had set up in the living room.

I looked across to the kitchen and saw that it was half past two in the morning.

Who could that be? I wondered as I got up and crept to the door, peeking outside.

It was light enough to see just about everything even though the street lights were dimmed. The full moon reflected off the white, snow-covered ground illuminating the city. I saw his car parked on the curb and quickly opened the door, taking in the sight of him standing there, a smirk on his face, a shimmer in his eye and snow flecked throughout his dark hair.

I welcomed him with a huge hug, wrapping my arms around him and hanging on for dear life as he spun me around and kissed me long and hard.

A few tears of joy fell from my cheeks and he smiled wider than I've ever seen in my life.

"I missed you." he said, his voice low and hoarse.

I was speechless.

He continued to whisper into my ear telling me how lovely I was and how he thought about me nonstop during his shows. Just hearing his voice was enough to make me crazy for him.

I took him by the hand and led him inside. I helped him take off his coat and scarf while he shed his mittens and hat.

I pinned him against the door which I know drives him crazy, and he ran his hands up and down my body under my shirt from my shoulders to my butt. He squeezed me tight in all the right places.