Chapter 44-Good and Sick

Danny

"I brought you some soup." she says shuffling along the wooden floor in her fuzzy socks, giddily over to me.

"Thanks my sweets." I say trying not to sound too gross.

I instruct her to put it on the coffee table which she does.

She bends down and kisses me gently on the forehead. Her lips feel cold and soothing on my scorching skin.

"Awww, baby..." she says, placing the back of her hand against my forehead and then my cheek. "You're burning up."

I nod.

"I'll be right back."

"Wait, where are you going?" I ask sounding all stuffy.

"I'll be right back to take your temperature." she says, already halfway into the kitchen

I lean my head back again and squint my eyes. The lights on the Christmas tree shine in rays, making my head spin.

I can't believe it's the day after Christmas, the day after my engagement to my best friend and I'm as sick as a dog.

My head pounds and I pray to God she doesn't catch whatever I have.

"I'm back." she says in a sing-song voice as she comes back into the living room.

I smile even though it hurts.

She sits down on the edge of the couch by me and rests her hand on my shoulder.

She wipes the water droplets off of the thermometer with the dish towel in her hand and smiles sadly.

"Open." she says.

I use every bit of my strength to open my mouth ever so slightly and let her put the cold glass thermometer under my tongue.

She waits a few minutes and checks the temperature.

"39.1, that's really high Danny..."

"It's not that bad."

"Yes it is."

"I'll live."

"Let me at least give you some Tylenol."

I nod, "Okay."

She returns to the kitchen and comes back with a tiny cup with a few of the white pills in it and a glass of ice cold water.

"You're gonna have to sit up babe." she says.

I struggle to gather my strength and push myself, but I can't do it.

She must see the struggle in my eyes because she quickly sets the pills and water on the table and helps me sit up.

She hands them to me and I down the pills and the water and she sits on the edge again and picks up the soup bowl.

She stirs the thick, creamy liquid and it starts to steam.